LED turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LED turn signals

Originally Posted by Squint
Unfortunately, to do an HID retrofit, the halogen projector has to be replaced with an HID projector and that requires cracking the housing open.
I thought since our headlights use a projector that you did not need to do anything other than snag a ballast for the HIDs.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I thought since our headlights use a projector that you did not need to do anything other than snag a ballast for the HIDs.
Compared to other halogen projectors, the Camry's produces acceptable results if you just put in an HID kit. But you get much better results using an HID projector. Much better.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Price
Silvertch: Here is a link to the LED bulbs:

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...S&Category=156
LEDs are not "'bulbs".

A light bulb radiates light more of less evenly over an entire sphere (except for the base of course). Also known as a "point" source.

What most people call LEDs (the LED die mounted in a housing) emit light directionally.

The turn signal fixtures in the car are designed for a "point source" light. If you put a LED "bulb" in them, the fixture likely won't radiate light correctly. This could be a safety hazzard.

The TCH LED taillights work properly because they were designed for LEDs.

Same things with HID headlights. The original reflectors may not aim light properly with a "retrofit" kit. And the even worse problem is that the end product does not have auto-leveling (like a good OEM HID). So you can go around blinding other drivers.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Same things with HID headlights. The original reflectors may not aim light properly with a "retrofit" kit. And the even worse problem is that the end product does not have auto-leveling (like a good OEM HID). So you can go around blinding other drivers.
Originally Posted by Squint
Compared to other halogen projectors, the Camry's produces acceptable results if you just put in an HID kit. But you get much better results using an HID projector. Much better.

Interesting. So if I put HIDs in with out a new projector the reflectors would not work correctly? I don't mean to hijack the thread but I absolutely HATE the headlights on this car. I can barely drive around areas that have poor street lights where the headlight do not penetrate enough. I also feel the light does not extend nearly as far out as I would like. In addition, people are always flashing me, far more than with my truck where the lights were quite hight up.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

n8kwx: If you check the link you will find that the LED's are called bulbs because they replace bulbs in cars and trucks.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Arent the rear lights already LED in TCH?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

As far as I know, only the running & brake lights are LED's.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Interesting. So if I put HIDs in with out a new projector the reflectors would not work correctly? I don't mean to hijack the thread but I absolutely HATE the headlights on this car. I can barely drive around areas that have poor street lights where the headlight do not penetrate enough. I also feel the light does not extend nearly as far out as I would like. In addition, people are always flashing me, far more than with my truck where the lights were quite hight up.
I think it'll be an improvement over the stock lighting but it won't be nearly as good as HID bulbs in an HID projector. The latter is as good or better than if the car was manufactured with HIDs. In many cases, they're better because you can cherry pick the components and end up with better lenses and projectors than what most auto manufacturers use.

Here's one of many threads comparing kits to retrofits:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...t=retrofit+kit

You have to register but there's a wealth of lighting information at that site including sub-forums for halogens and LEDs.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Price
n8kwx: If you check the link you will find that the LED's are called bulbs because they replace bulbs in cars and trucks.
I did check the link. I also explained why those LEDs DON'T replace bulbs in cars and trucks. Most LEDs cannot be dropped into incandescent fixtures and still meet DOT standards.

Those LED replacements that I saw will not shine much light to the sides of the car. That can be a safety issue.

If you want to put yourself to sleep some night look up DOT standards for vehicle lighting. They have very detailed specifications as to how much light needs to go where.

A few years ago the DOT forced importers to recall a lot of LED lights as they don't meet the proper lighting standards. Be careful what you buy on eBay. 99% is cheap underengineered Chinese stuff.

As for HID headlights check out the difference between an Acura HID and a Lexus HID. Acura's don't have autoleveling. Lexus does. One blinds, one does not! Please don't be an Acura!