The local TCH data collection thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default The local TCH data collection thread

As a public service to my fellow TCH owners, I am starting this thread with the purpose of enabling TCH owners that live in the same area to get together to collect comparison operational data.

Frequently, we see in the forum people referencing that they get XX mpg, but someone else says they get YY mpg under the same circumstances or in the same location. We don't really know if this is due to vehicle differences, driver technique, etc.

I propose that if you are curious, put a post in this thread that indicates your city/state/area, and that you are interested in meeting a fellow member for a test.

The test should be somewhat standardized, like both cars drive exactly the same circular course, of at least 10 miles, at the same time, then switch cars and repeat........or something like that. Let's collectively figure this out. Then, post your findings here.

This, of course involves trusting your car over to someone else to drive, etc.

Let the comparisons and discussion begin!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The local TCH data collection thread

Sounds good to me.

Cincinnati Area here.

- Larry

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

bronx, nyc, NY here. Also Northern New Jersey (Palisades Pkwy).

Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Frequently, we see in the forum people referencing that they get XX mpg, but someone else says they get YY mpg under the same circumstances or in the same location. We don't really know if this is due to vehicle differences, driver technique, etc.

Yes, due to driver technique, a little learning curve reaps the bennies!!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Kansas City MO and Overland Park, KS - we sit on the border

Old 03-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Chicago area. I think this is an excellent idea, especially given the winter some of us have had.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finbib
Chicago area. I think this is an excellent idea, especially given the winter some of us have had.
Hey Chicago, howdy neighbor. Wazzup!

Hey I noticed you seem to be getting similar milage as me. My main commute is Roosevelt Rd, from Harlem ave all the way out to Glenn Ellyn. Occasionaly in the morning I jump on 290 to get me to work on time. My driving is no more than 10 miles over the speed limit. I dont floor the gas unless I need to jump on the highway when everyone is trying to pass as you are getting on the highway.

While on 290 I drive 55-65 mph I usually set the cruise on and hop in the middle lane. When on Roosevelt I usually drive 35-45 mph around the areas that have lots of lights (1st ave to Oak Brook), then I drive in the 55-65 mph mile range for that stretch of highway right before Oak Brook. After that I keep the car at about 35-45 for the remainder of my commute to work, since I can make all the lights through the 355 intersection if I time it just right.

On the warmer days I can make about 35 mpg (according to the car) on the way to work, during the last 3rd of my journey. Driving back home, the best I have gotten so far from my car is 40mpg which occured a few times rescently since it was warmer for a few days the other week. I usually hit that about 1/2 to 3/4 of my commute home.

It seems to me that when its been really cold, the milage has been deplorable. By really cold I mean 0.

Also, my commute is 13.5 miles each way. It takes approximately 30-40 min each way.

If I can think of anything else I will throw it out there.

Oh yeah, I park outside in an uncovered spot.

And please ignore bad grammar and spelling, lots to type.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Chicago north suburbs here...Mundelein...I travel 12 miles to works on rt 83 and milwaukee ave...average mpg this winter during the really cold months has been about 26-27 mpg.....

Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well one conselation is that everyones gas miliage goes down in winter time