Major Malfunction updates (!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:27 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Major Malfunction updates (!)

I agree, in WV three times is the key. However, I guess my point would be, a loose ground wire, even if the dealer screws it up several times is not going to be a reason I want to give them my TCH back.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

It seems like the loose ground wire has become more of an issue than the true problem. A car that dies in the middle of the road is a disaster, to both the driver and other motorists, and could easily result in fatalities. If one loose wire could cause this type of failure then Toyota needs to take a close look at how robust their engineering practices are. Since the problem occurred again right after the loose wire was fixed it would seem to indicate that it may not have been the problem at all, which leads me to wonder how well the shop is able to diagnose a problem of this nature.
Just thought I would throw my two cents in.
Good luck, I hope you can get this fixed quickly.
Please let us know the final outcome.
doug

Old 07-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The complexity of the TCH, or any car for that matter would suggest that on rare occasion one of the production units will have a catastrophic problem that no level of engineering could overcome. Thusly, lemon laws have been created.

If I were to experience what Norb's gone through, I would want to take a Mulligan and get a new TCH. I've been happier with mine than any other car I've owned, and I think everyone should experience the same level of satsfaction.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:13 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Unfortunatley loose wires don't show up well on diagnostics. I had a 2000 Montana that died the 1st day I had it. Did this several times over a few days until it wouldn't go anymore. Took the dealer two days to track down the loose wire that was causing the problem.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:35 PM
WVGasGuy

I would want to take a Mulligan and get a new TCH.

1) You're assuming they don't simply give you your money back and 2)if you traded they can't give you your old car back, 3) It screws up the tax credits and 4) if they do offer you a new TCH then you may have to wait 2 months and possibly miss out on the full tax credit.

Again my point is if it's just a loose ground wire I'd get ticked but I'd live with it. Any thing else wrong and I probably would go for the lemon law and then go for a Honda. I've dropped brands before as I try to never get burned twice by the same car. Probably my loss.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What ever happened with this, Norb? Any updates?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

The glitch must have zapped his computer also. Have not seen any posts from Norb since 7-20.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Major Malfunction updates NEW INFO !!!!!!!!!

UPDATE !!!!! WOW, what a two weeks. My TCH is still in the shop. Two Toyota engineers have visited and determined the problem was a DC to DC converter 350V to 12 V that failed. This converter supplies the regular 12V system juice since there’s not an alternator. It’s located on top of the High voltage battery (HVB) compartment. It was replaced but there was something else a fuse block located on the HVB compartment for the converter apparently indicated signs of electrical arcing. Remember this is on the HVB. Not a good thing that close to the big battery. They are replacing the fuse block as well and this is not a stock part. Hmmm, anyway I should get my car back this week. Oh yea, the engineers said this was the first such problem in the 10,000 units produced so far.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM
WVGasGuy

I still feel pain for you but it's good to know they sent a couple of engineers rather than let it sit in the shop with a couple of mechanics unfamiliar with it scratching their head.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norb
UPDATE !!!!! WOW, what a two weeks. My TCH is still in the shop. Two Toyota engineers have visited and determined the problem was a DC to DC converter 350V to 12 V that failed. This converter supplies the regular 12V system juice since there’s not an alternator. It’s located on top of the High voltage battery (HVB) compartment. It was replaced but there was something else a fuse block located on the HVB compartment for the converter apparently indicated signs of electrical arcing. Remember this is on the HVB. Not a good thing that close to the big battery. They are replacing the fuse block as well and this is not a stock part. Hmmm, anyway I should get my car back this week. Oh yea, the engineers said this was the first such problem in the 10,000 units produced so far.

So you are over 2 weeks with car in shop, watch the calendar, most states at 30 days they have to buy the car back. Also you had the problem twice, in some states 2 or 3 major failures qualify as well.

Quick Reply: Major Malfunction updates (!)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands