MAJOR MALFUNTION No Roadside help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default MAJOR MALFUNTION No Roadside help!!!

My Camery is less than 2 Wks old and I had a major malfuntion that left me stranded. Totota does not have a road side asistance program and the dealer said I have to call a tow truck and they will know to bill toyota for warrenty work. Yea right. Toyota's customer experence 800# number is a shame no option if your stranded.

As far as the malfuntion... the car suddenly at 70mph acted like the "China syndrome buzzers and tones blaired nd I had more illuminated (!)'s than I could count. The car lost power. The gas motor failed. The brakes stiffened. The display read "check Hybrid System" , "Check VSC System". Once I got stoped the car would not start and no Toyota help was available. My dealer acted suprized and insisted there was a number to call but could not find one. As for the car I wish i could return it. This is not cool.

I was a Mazda owner they never left me on the Highway. Before you buy or if you own please check this out it's dangerous.
My E-mail norb57@hotmail.com

Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MAJOR MALFUNTION No Roadside help!!!

Norb,

Please let us know what they diagnosis is when you find out.

This is the first major issue on a TCH in these (or any other) forums that I am aware of...

Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, please let us know what your Toyota dealer says.

The dealership where we are getting our car offers a free year of AAA membership with the purchase of every new Toyota they sell. In the past I always carried roadside assistance coverage on my insurance, because I've never had a car that had roadside assistance. My husband's Jetta had roadside assistance from VW, but that was for a limited time/mileage. Now he has it through insurance too.

KS

Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Holy crap Norb, that is the worst possible thing that could have happen. Toyota should have been more helpful with you considering the car was two weeks old. I wonder if more people will have this problem. Please keep us informed on what happened and what toyota is doing to resolve this unfortunate situation. Sorry for the loss.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

It sounds like you had a 'triangle of death' event. This was what was occuring on the Prius that had a software adjustment last year. I had one on my own Prius, which I sold to myself , during the 3rd week of driving.

Why?

I was close to out of gas. As I understand it the computer shuts down the ICE if it senses that the hybrid system, specifically the traction battery, is at risk. This is so that one doesn't drive on the battery alone and damage it beyond repair. I filled up at the closest station and everything was normal. 20,000 miles later nothing abnormal.

Keep us informed please.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
HSD Organic Interface

My owner's manual supplement explicitely described the Toyota Roadside Assistance program which is valid for the standard 3 yr factory warranty. It has removable cards for carrying in your wallet. It had both Canadian and US numbers to call and said the service was available anywhere in Canada and USA.

My Sienna came with the same stuff too, I thought it was standard on all Toyota's sold in North America.

Originally Posted by Norb
I was a Mazda owner they never left me on the Highway. Before you buy or if you own please check this out it's dangerous.
I can understand being p'd off when something like this happens, but I'm not sure what purpose this particular comment serves. It's dangerous to operate a motor vehicle that has the potential to fail? I guess you'll be doing a lot of walking then...

Last edited by Droid13; 07-18-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by kdhspyder
It sounds like you had a 'triangle of death' event. This was what was occuring on the Prius that had a software adjustment last year. I had one on my own Prius, which I sold to myself , during the 3rd week of driving.

Why?

I was close to out of gas. As I understand it the computer shuts down the ICE if it senses that the hybrid system, specifically the traction battery, is at risk. This is so that one doesn't drive on the battery alone and damage it beyond repair. I filled up at the closest station and everything was normal. 20,000 miles later nothing abnormal.

Keep us informed please.
We've been reading that as much as two gallons may remain in the TCH tank and fuel lines, even as the needle finally reaches "E". Do you know if you were at this point, or beyond, when your Prius had its near-death experience?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Gas was at 3/4 plus. I had just driven about 65 highway miles with out incident, with cruse control.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

It's dangerous to be without any asistance and have to perhaps risk you life walking on an interstate highway when roadside programs are usual and the norm for most good car companies.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

Please share the number, you won't find it in any of my owners guides.

Quick Reply: MAJOR MALFUNTION No Roadside help!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands