Mudguards Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mudguards Yay or Nay

Just installed a set on my 2009 TCH. Got the OEM type painted black. Very easy to install. Fit great. Tip - for the rears - you don't have to remove the wheels, or use a drill. A wood awl (I think the carpenter term is 'sharp pointy thing') easily pushes through the plastic bumper. The screw and the fastener does the rest.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought a set in black figured I'd paint them myself. Paint kept cracking on the rear set so I gave up and bought a set already painted. Anyone want a set to paint yourself can have these for $25. Screws and fasteners included.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

We have a SuperWhite and put the black mudguards on. they look fine since the tires are black, so they just blend in. The primary reason, for us, was to keep road tar off the front door and rear quarter panel. The plan has worked for the last twenty years I've been using them.

the appearance issue is a purely personal decision. I love the appearance of my car, and feel that the utility function of the mudguards helps KEEP it attractive. A beautiful car with road tar up the side, isn't very pretty IMHO.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'd like mudguards for my '09 TCH which is black, but everything I've found online was the dark gray ABS plastic, not a true black, and they were about $55. Following the link to the Dallas dealer, they were listed for about $70 plus shipping, but show by color.

Am I correct in stating that these are a little more because they're actually painted, and so should match the car better than the cheap plastic ones I'm finding elsewhere?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I believe that is who I ordered from. They are colored matched, I would not order them not matched. There is on around the corner from me with in the sliver / with black guards, mine obviously looks better, not after market. Colored matched are only available to purchase in certain regions, Texas being one of them.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast

I ordered mine from the Dallas dealer from the link on this thread. They are color matched. My car is also black (color code 202) and they match perfectly.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a silver TCH which came with black mudguards from the factory. I think it looks great the way it is. I would not want them color matched to the body.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbone526
Am I correct in stating that these are a little more because they're actually painted, and so should match the car better than the cheap plastic ones I'm finding elsewhere?
Yes. I purchased my mudguards from Toyota of Dallas (actually quite a few things) and they were in perfect condition and look great.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:04 PM

I had my OEM Mudguards primed by a professional and painted the three different coats to match the Blizzard Pearl White Paint of the 50th Anniversary and I must say they look terrific on the Camry Hybrid. It also differentiates it from the other 2999 50th Anniversary editions.... 8) I am not normally a huge fan of mud guards, but they definitely look good on the Hybrid Camry when painted to match. Do not do them yourselves (painting), have a professional do it or they will just crack. I will post pictures when I get a chance.