Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Nav DVD ver.8.1 gen5 (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/nav-dvd-ver-8-1-gen5-21516/)

tharvey 05-01-2009 07:41 PM

Re: Nav DVD ver.8.1 gen5

Originally Posted by pandc (Post 202359)
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I picked up this tip from another site. If your Camry has a NAV system, you can OVERRIDE the programming of your system, thereby allowing you access to certain NOT-normally-available functions while driving.

At least two things are possible by using the OVERRIDE feature: you can manually enter addresses while driving, and you can access normally locked-out features (phone book and manual dialing, for example) of your Bluetooth phone.

Here's a summary. It takes seconds to do, and is simpler than the explanation would lead you to believe.

On the panel to the left of the NAV screen, press MENU and then on the touchscreen, press VOLUME. Then, in the upper left corner of the touchscreen, press the speaker icon once. Then, in the lower left corner of the touchscreen, where NO icon exists (blank), press once. Then repeat the last two steps, pressing the speaker icon and the blank lower left corner again. To summarize, the sequence is:

MENU > VOLUME > VOLUME ICON > BLANK >VOLUME ICON > BLANK

This will bring up a HIDDEN touchscreen. To use the locked-out features of NAV and Bluetooth, touch and hold the OVERRIDE button for five seconds. It will turn blue to indicate you have highlighted it. That's it! However, the OVERRIDE will be discontinued when you power off your car, and you will need to repeat this procedure each time.

NOTE: YOU CAN ACTIVATE OVERRIDE AT ANY TIME WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ACTIVATED WHILE STOPPED. THEREFORE, YOU CAN LEAVE IT ALONE UNTIL NEEDED.

Obviously, Toyota has locked out some features for safety reasons, but on long trips it may be useful to search for a restaurant while you're driving, or dial a phone number from your saved phonebook. I haven't yet been able to check if CALLER ID is available when OVERRIDE is used, but that would be excellent, too!

will this work on a 2009 with 8.1 factory dvd????

thanks

tim

nyceshirtz 05-02-2009 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by tharvey (Post 202374)
will this work on a 2009 with 8.1 factory dvd????

thanks

tim

not with the factory dvd. you need a modified dvd with a 5.1 kwi file.

Kornstad 05-02-2009 06:58 AM

What's on the DVD is Data version 6.1. Is that the information your talking about?

mikieboyblue 05-02-2009 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kornstad (Post 202397)
What's on the DVD is Data version 6.1. Is that the information your talking about?

No. That's the data version. The firmware (loading.kwi) file MUST be at version 5.1 to have the override function. Right off the top of my head, I do not recall any way of you knowing what loading.kwi version you have. The 5.1 loading.kwi file is about 46 MB (45.8 MB).

nyceshirtz 05-02-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 202401)
No. That's the data version. The firmware (loading.kwi) file MUST be at version 5.1 to have the override function. Right off the top of my head, I do not recall any way of you knowing what loading.kwi version you have.

the only way to find out the version of the kwi file is to open the map dvd on a pc, look at the filesize of the loading.kwi file. if it is anything BUT 46,956kb(or around 45kb - actual size may vary dependant upon the physical disk it is stored on(sector size)), it is NOT a v5.1 file. it is callled a v5.1 file because the 5.1 version of the map dvd data was the version that offered this overide capability. other later versions that were released did not have the same functionality (i.e., versions 6.1, 7.1 and 8.1). hence the modified 8.1 mapdata file with a 5.1 loading.kwi file.

dcemureviews 05-02-2009 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202345)
Can someone send me the name of the torrent and the website? I have been looking for it without luck. Also, I know there's a post out here on how to override the nav so you can use it while the car is moving, but I can't seem to get that done. Can someone please help. Thanks.

Google... http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=toyot...fp=KqtEvp1-d7s

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4838588/Toyota_Navigation_Gen_5_v_8.1_(Hybrid_5.1)
http://extratorrent.com/torrent/1856...81+Hybrid.html
http://www.sumotorrent.com/en/details/2769253/Toyota%20Navigation%20Gen%205%20v%208.1%20(Hybrid% 205.1).html

spgdxb 05-04-2009 04:35 PM

Thanks dcemu, it took a while, but I got it downloaded

I didn't realize that most DVD-R's have only 4.7Gb, so I am going to get one that'll hold all the data and then try it. I'll keep everyone posted.

As far as the manual override, I think my version does not allow me to. I tried the different steps and it didn't work

dcemureviews 05-04-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202548)
Thanks dcemu, it took a while, but I got it downloaded

I didn't realize that most DVD-R's have only 4.7Gb, so I am going to get one that'll hold all the data and then try it. I'll keep everyone posted.

As far as the manual override, I think my version does not allow me to. I tried the different steps and it didn't work

You need dual layer DVDs.

The nav disc that comes with your car does not have the override, that is why you just downloaded the file.

ajay71 05-05-2009 01:57 AM

Can this hybrid be used on a Lexus RX 350 2007 Model that came with Gen 5 v 6.1 ?

Thanks in advance!
AJ

mikieboyblue 05-06-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ajay71 (Post 202571)
Can this hybrid be used on a Lexus RX 350 2007 Model that came with Gen 5 v 6.1 ?

Thanks in advance!
AJ

It should work. The version I have is actually the Lexus disc. It works fine in my TCH.