New '09 Camry, and some observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default New '09 Camry, and some observations

OK, we finally got a new '09 TCH to replace the one my kid killed. We were able to find a semi-local dealer that would meet Fitzmall's price. The $37.50 for a Greyhound ticket beat the $240.00 plane ticket. (I'll admit it: I'm cheap)

After looking all around the local 'Motor Mile', I have a few observations on vehicles:

Nissan Altima Hybrid: Close, but not for us. The suspension is somewhat stiffer than the Camry's, and the car is also a bit lighter. This translates into a 'harder' ride. SWMBO was injured many years ago, and is still in pain. A firm ride such as this would be torturous. The poor salesman seemed to think we were trying to "crank" him, and kept asking what it would take to get us into that car. It took 10 minutes to convince him and his sales manager. It would be great for a person with a sportier disposition.

Honda Accord: Is it just me, or does this car seem "tinny"? This is not what I remembered about this car. It seems to feel 'cheap'. The fit and finish do not feel as refined as either the Nissan or Toyota. I remember the Hondas as better than this, maybe all the good stuff went to the Acuras.

Honda Ridgeline: We were seriously considering this. The ride was nice and smooth, and the Wife felt comfortable driving it. The only troubles were the mileage, and the colors and amenities the dealer had in stock.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
it's just a car...
Default Re: New '09 Camry, and some observations

Congrats on the new TCH!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, I would sincerely like to see an HSD Ridgeline crossover, crossbreed, between the Toyota A-BAT concept and their Hybrid-X concept.

But, please, with a small "boxer" 4 cylinder with Miller cycle or even better with Atkinson/Miller/West cycle.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by RadioTek
OK, we finally got a new '09 TCH to replace the one my kid killed. We were able to find a semi-local dealer that would meet Fitzmall's price. The $37.50 for a Greyhound ticket beat the $240.00 plane ticket. (I'll admit it: I'm cheap)

After looking all around the local 'Motor Mile', I have a few observations on vehicles:

Nissan Altima Hybrid: Close, but not for us. The suspension is somewhat stiffer than the Camry's, and the car is also a bit lighter. This translates into a 'harder' ride. SWMBO was injured many years ago, and is still in pain. A firm ride such as this would be torturous. The poor salesman seemed to think we were trying to "crank" him, and kept asking what it would take to get us into that car. It took 10 minutes to convince him and his sales manager. It would be great for a person with a sportier disposition.

Honda Accord: Is it just me, or does this car seem "tinny"? This is not what I remembered about this car. It seems to feel 'cheap'. The fit and finish do not feel as refined as either the Nissan or Toyota. I remember the Hondas as better than this, maybe all the good stuff went to the Acuras.

Honda Ridgeline: We were seriously considering this. The ride was nice and smooth, and the Wife felt comfortable driving it. The only troubles were the mileage, and the colors and amenities the dealer had in stock.
I have a friend with the Ridgeline. You feel like you're in a quality car. Fantastic if you're a fisherman. Other than that fair mileage for a truck (22-28 MPG) and the worst sight lines of any vehicle I have driven. You cannot see anything in the rear. Almost impossible to back up without a camera (and he does not have one).

I agree (along with everyone on the forum) that the TCH is an excellent balance of features, quality, and price.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

SWMBO has had a couple of days to reacquaint herself with the car, and is very happy. We had a Toyota Matrix for 4 weeks as a rental and she was bothered by the sightlines to the front and back on it. She worried about taking out random landscaping elements while parking. She liked the cargo room, but the ride was stiff enough to bother her. She _really_ likes having her TCH back, the ride, the comfort, and the quiet.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Ok, I have to ask....what is an "SWMBO"?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Ok, I have to ask....what is an "SWMBO"?

Don't know about others, by I considered it "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Frodo
Don't know about others, by I considered it "She Who Must Be Obeyed"
Ah....haha....can you tell I am not married?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Popularized by the PBS Mystery series "Rumpole of the Bailey", but originally appears in "She" by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925). A very early Science Fiction / Fantasy novel published 1887. If you want to go searching for some early examples of the genre.