A note about the A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default A note about the A/C

In another thread a couple of posters made the comment that after a while the A/C is a little too strong. I believe it's because of the auto A/C. When you first get in the car if the inside temp is too high the car is going to crank the A/C. After a few minutes the temp is still fairly high and the A/C keeps cranking. However, it's blowing cold air on you so you're feeling cold. What I do is after the car starts cooling down a raise the temperaturer a few degrees to get the A/C to kick back to a lower setting. Then as the car cools down and the A/C wants to kick back some more I lower the temperature one degree at a time.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: A note about the A/C

I never put the AC on auto - when it blows that strong I tend to get a headache. I don't even crank it to it's lowest temp to cool the car when I first get in. However, after it has cooled down some, I set it at fans speed one, and temp 75 and sometimes it can still seem a bit cold.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
In another thread a couple of posters made the comment that after a while the A/C is a little too strong. I believe it's because of the auto A/C. When you first get in the car if the inside temp is too high the car is going to crank the A/C. After a few minutes the temp is still fairly high and the A/C keeps cranking. However, it's blowing cold air on you so you're feeling cold. What I do is after the car starts cooling down a raise the temperaturer a few degrees to get the A/C to kick back to a lower setting. Then as the car cools down and the A/C wants to kick back some more I lower the temperature one degree at a time.
Interesting, I test drove a few and have one on order, on my test drives I have found the A/C to be a tad weak. Maybe it is the 90+ days here in ATL, but it is great when stopped, where most cars would be weak, the constant AC in the TCH is nice, once I get the windows tinted it shoudl help a great deal.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm not sure if I just have not found a "proper" temp to use on Auto, but I'm finding I use the temp selector pretty much the same as I would a manual A/C system. Lower the temp to cool down and raise the temp to turn the fan speed down and not have it so cold. Not very auto actually. But even on hot days I usually try to go windows down instead, only when the humidity gets going that I go A/C. Maybe if I find that golden temp setting that cools when it's hot but backs off before I start frosting over...

Old 07-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Does anyone else think the climate control temp scale may be off or at least very different from their last car with auto climate control? In my last car, I would leave the temp between 70-72 degrees F to be comfortable. In the Camry, I find setting it 76 degrees or lower is way too cold to be comfortable. I'm usually setting it between 77 to 79 to be comfortable. Also, I find I have to adjust the temp more frequently than my last car. Maybe it's not adjusting to changes in sun, humidity, etc as my last car.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Enthusiast

There's a way to program the "reference" temperature of the climate control in our camry hybrids. It says so in the technical manual.

The climate control in the CH seems to be a rather complex system as described in the tech manual:

"Neural Network Control

� In previous automatic air conditioning systems, the A/C ECU determined the required outlet air temperature and blower air volume in accordance with a calculation formula and based on information received from the sensors. However, because people’s senses are rather complex, a given temperature is sensed differently, depending on the environment in which the person is situated. For example, a given amount of solar radiation can feel comfortably warm in a cold climate, or extremely uncomfortable in a hot climate. Therefore, as a technique for effecting a higher level of control, a neural network is used in the automatic air conditioning system. With this technique, data that has been collected under varying environmental conditions is stored in the A/C ECU. The A/C ECU can then effect control to provide enhanced air conditioning comfort.

� The neural network control consists of neurons in the input layer, intermediate layer, and output layer. The input layer neurons process the input data of the outside temperature, the amount of sunlight, and the room temperature based on the outputs of the switches and sensors, and output them to the intermediate layer neurons. Based on this data, the intermediate layer neurons adjust the strength of the links among the neurons. The sum of these is then calculated by the output layer neurons in the form of the required outlet temperature, solar correction, target airflow volume, and outlet mode control volume. The A/C ECU controls the servo motors and blower motor in accordance with the control volumes that have been calculated by the neural network control."