Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pet Peeves (some more significant than others)

Originally Posted by ddoug
Okay. Am I the only one that finds the Navigation system lacking?
1. The routing is frequently questionable at best. Even when the 3 routes are reviewed, none is even close to the best way to go (unlike my Garmin).
2. Might be my southern accent, but the voice recognition system frequently does to get my drift, even when repeated numerous times.
3. The ETE is very eratic and sometimes well in excess of the time to get somewhere.
4. Even if it won't let me, the driver, operate it when the vehicle is moving, it shoud detect and allow the passenger to operate it. Actually it should allow the driver to operate it--as a pilot I can operate the GPS in an aircraft all the time, even when it is moving!
5. Why cant the voice recognition system do something like assume the destination is in the city you are in an give you the capability to change city/state if needed, instead of always requiring you to input State, City, Street, Number. This is painful, especially when it doesn't recognize your commands.

Guess that is enough for now.
I agree with all of your comments except number 1 since I don't have something else to compare to. Although, my girlfriend did just get a TomTom.

Also, with respect to 4 and 5, see the following thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12899

Mike

Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ddoug
Okay. Am I the only one that finds the Navigation system lacking?
1. The routing is frequently questionable at best. Even when the 3 routes are reviewed, none is even close to the best way to go (unlike my Garmin).
2. Might be my southern accent, but the voice recognition system frequently does to get my drift, even when repeated numerous times.
3. The ETE is very eratic and sometimes well in excess of the time to get somewhere.
4. Even if it won't let me, the driver, operate it when the vehicle is moving, it shoud detect and allow the passenger to operate it. Actually it should allow the driver to operate it--as a pilot I can operate the GPS in an aircraft all the time, even when it is moving!
5. Why cant the voice recognition system do something like assume the destination is in the city you are in an give you the capability to change city/state if needed, instead of always requiring you to input State, City, Street, Number. This is painful, especially when it doesn't recognize your commands.

Guess that is enough for now.
I just took a trip from east TN to Baltimore yesterday. I was very impressed by the Nav system. The ETA was within 5 minutes of my actual arrival. I noticed that the ETA gradually changed when my speed changed. I also haven't had many problems with the voice activation. There are a list of commands that the TCH voice activation system will recognize. If you stick to that list the voice system works fine. I also find the voice guidance to be very helpful when in an area that is more congested. I did find the three routes it gave me to be questionable but I actually used one of the suggested routes (with a slight manipulation) and it actually worked very well for me. I also find being able to see what POI's are coming up on the next exits to be very useful. Overall I'm very satisfied with the Nav system.

I was using Delorme on my laptop. The only thing I miss about using Delorme is the ease of manipulating your route.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM

I have one thing that would be very hand to have -- % load of the MG1/2. If I had this I am sure I could hone in the MPG even better as I would be able to see at a glance the % load on the electric motor during acceleration so you can judge when it will kick over to the ICE.

I would love to be able to do what the CC can do...It amazes me how it optimizes the MPG.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I have one thing that would be very hand to have -- % load of the MG1/2. If I had this I am sure I could hone in the MPG even better as I would be able to see at a glance the % load on the electric motor during acceleration so you can judge when it will kick over to the ICE.

I would love to be able to do what the CC can do...It amazes me how it optimizes the MPG.
( Toyota could do it but it would be disabled if you are in motion)

Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
( Toyota could do it but it would be disabled if you are in motion)
Haha, probably.....

Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM

2. It doesn't stay in EV mode (or fuel cut) long enough. I do not know why it engages the ICE so much. I know MG1/2 have more power, reverse shows that. Why does it feel the need to be so touchy on the pedal and how the heck does CC do so well??? I have tried so hard over the last week to find a sweet spot. Either it doesn't accelerate at all or just holds (even on flat ground). And from a stop it accelerates so darn slow if you try to keep the ICE from engaging.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 AM
SPL

mikieboyblue — As discussed in the thread "An Unpalatable Fact (with apologies to Al Gore!)," I haven't yet seen any good evidence that you can do better on average (on round trips, etc.) by forcing the maximum possible pure-EV mode operation. Since all the energy used by the vehicle (e.g., even the energy recovered by regenerative braking originally came from the gasoline), and since the multiple conversions between the mechanical, electrical, and chemical (in the battery) forms entail additional losses beyond those of the ICE itself (that's why dedicated cooling of the battery, motors, and electronics is needed), only under very special circumstances can you do better than Toyota's programmed system control logic. You'd need to substantiate that you can on average actually do better by staying in EV or fuel-cut modes for longer, in order to make your case.

Stan

Old 04-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Yeah Stan. Sorry for posting against the Unpalatable Fact thread. I've read most of that and honest, too much engineering for me :-P But I completely agree that the gas still provides 99% of the energy. The thing is, if the CC can do it, why can't the pedal? These don't use a traditional throttle do they?

Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 AM
SPL

mikieboyblue — There is a traditional throttle vane in the airflow path, but it's not directly controlled by the accelerator's position. The ECUs determine where to set it based on what the driver does with the accelerator and other factors. You ought to be able to duplicate what the cruise-control can do if you know as much about the car as the ECUs do! ScanGaugeII lets you monitor where the ECUs are setting the throttle vane moment by moment while you drive. This is quite instructive.

Stan

Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 AM
SPL

Pet Peeve #5 partially reinstated:
I am partially reinstating my Pet Peeve #5. Further checking has revealed that, if one has the doors set to auto-lock when the car's speed reaches ~22 km/h (~14 mph), and also has the doors set to auto-unlock when the gear-shift lever is moved into the 'P' position (the default setting), then the following occurs, and this doesn't seem sensible to me. When one drives off for the first time, the doors lock at 22 km/h. If one then stops the car and shifts temporarily into 'P,' the doors auto-unlock of course. So far, so good. But, if without opening any door, one then shifts back into 'D' and drives off again, the doors will not auto-lock this time, or any subsequent time, until after a door has been opened.

Stan