Questions on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Questions on TCH

Hi Folks -

Noobi here but been lurking around on/off for a few weeks and this is a great dedicated forum for hybrid owners. Hence my questions to TCH owners.
#1 - Is it true if battery is dead, you can't start the car?
#2 - Being in Texas, this is a key question - does the A/C cutoff while in battery mode? I remember 2 yrs when I was test drove the accord during the summer, there was little/no A/C. I'm told Toyota addressed this in their '3rd' gen hybrids...comments?
#3 - Since I travel a lot, car sits at airport for extended time...is it true TCH must be drive every few days to avoid dead battery (if Yes to #1 above)?

Finally, anything I should look for during the test drive?

TIA!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions on TCH

Originally Posted by txgogreen
Hi Folks -
#1 - Is it true if battery is dead, you can't start the car?
Yes, if the 12v (standard car battery in the trunk) is dead, you will be unable to start the car as it powers the base electrical system (computer). It doesn't take much to get it going and there are threads the talk about this topic. (There are more than the two linked below; search "12 volt battery" or something similar.)

Jumpstarting

Jump Starting

#2 - Being in Texas, this is a key question - does the A/C cutoff while in battery mode? I remember 2 yrs when I was test drove the accord during the summer, there was little/no A/C. I'm told Toyota addressed this in their '3rd' gen hybrids...comments?
The AC stays on. If the traction battery (the main hybrid battery pack) is low from running the AC (usually after 15 - 20 minutes from full), the ICE will turn on and charge it.

#3 - Since I travel a lot, car sits at airport for extended time...is it true TCH must be drive every few days to avoid dead battery (if Yes to #1 above)?
In a nutshell, people have left their TCH site for 30+ days (I think even one person went overseas and their TCH sat for more then 60 days) and have had no problems. Toyota recommend you disconnect the 12 volt battery if leaving the car more than 30 days. See the thread below. I am sure there are many more.

From personal experience, I have left mine for 15 days without issue and the traction battery was still full.

Storing TCH for 10 days while gone

Finally, anything I should look for during the test drive?
I would look for the normal items plus:

1. Rough starts and stops of the ICE and power switching.
2. Steering and handling.
3. Type of tires (most people have had horrible luck with the Bridgestones).
4. General fit and finish of the interior dash components. (There may be things you can have fixed before the purchase instead of after -- although my car has no problems.)
5. If you have an iPod, bring it and a standard audio mini-jack cable to test the AUX and sound system. Test it while driving for an grounding issues or static.
6. If you don't have an iPod, certainly bring a CD to experience the sound system.

Good luck! Glad to have you on board.
Mike

Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Mike!!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thank you Mike!!
You're welcome.

I do want add a minor correction. Look for violent starts and stops of the ICE and power switching. Rough might be assumed at different levels. You will generally feel the ICE start and stop if you are the driver -- through the steering wheel and pedals. It feels like others should be feeling it but I have asked a number of people both sitting in the front and back and they say they cannot feel it.

Also, when breaking, you may feel like the breaks are catching and skipping (kind of like when ABS kicks in). This is nothing to worry about as this happens when there is moisture on the pads/rotors. This moisture builds up a little more than usual due to the regenerative breaking system. It should go away after a few long or hard stops.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I recommend testing the ABS system on the test drive (with any car, not just the TCH). Warn the salesperson first so that they are not alarmed. IMHO, every driver of an ABS-equipped vehicle should know what it feels like prior to using it in an emergency.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Expounding a little on what Mike said about the TCH and A/C when the ICE is off:
Rather than being powered by the engine itself, most of the equipment/systems (A/C, steering, etc.) are electrically powered. Imagine driving a car an loosing power steering when the engine shuts down.
Also, about the brakes during your test drive: Don't worry about the brakes feeling "strange" as you slow down to below 7 mph. This is the brake operation changing from "regeneration" mode to "normal" friction/disc braking.