SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Originally Posted by 50th Anniversary Camry
I would pull a CarFax on the "previously-owned" low mileage TCH. Temperature, in a normal functioning TCH should have no effect on the lights coming on ( I own a 2007 50th anniversary TCH and live in Northern New England, so this is based on experience). I am more concerned that this vehicle was "wacked" in the front end and repaired and some wire or sensor somewhere is chaffed or shorted. The cold weather may be a "trigger" due to contraction of metals, etc. I am a Toyota Service Manager and would not be the first "low-mileage pre-owned" vehicle that had been in an accident in it's previous life. Ask to see the records on the vehicle from the place you bought it. If it came from an auction, be weary...... very weary..... If they cannot give you the records, ask to speak with the original owner. I would be very interested on WHY they got rid of the vehicle with such low mileage.
Well put, and my thoughts exactly...that's the reason I asked about the very low mileage on a 2007...

Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: SCARY incident, Multiple Check engine\brake lights lit up after 60 mile trip...

Originally Posted by 50th Anniversary Camry
I would pull a CarFax on the "previously-owned" low mileage TCH. Temperature, in a normal functioning TCH should have no effect on the lights coming on ( I own a 2007 50th anniversary TCH and live in Northern New England, so this is based on experience). I am more concerned that this vehicle was "wacked" in the front end and repaired and some wire or sensor somewhere is chaffed or shorted. The cold weather may be a "trigger" due to contraction of metals, etc. I am a Toyota Service Manager and would not be the first "low-mileage pre-owned" vehicle that had been in an accident in it's previous life. Ask to see the records on the vehicle from the place you bought it. If it came from an auction, be weary...... very weary..... If they cannot give you the records, ask to speak with the original owner. I would be very interested on WHY they got rid of the vehicle with such low mileage.

I hate to say it, but BINGO....
The car was in a minor front-end accident. THey replaced the hood and front fender, and that was it.

For what it is worth, I got an appointment with the service department of Toyota Nicholasville on Saturday Morning. I did speak to Tim, he said that he would pull the codes on the vehicle.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You mentioned you may need to check for low antifreeze. Use caution, the TCH uses a special 100,000 mile, pink antifreeze. I may be only available from a Toyota dealer.