Smart Key Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Key Problems

Originally Posted by schmidtj
You CAN intentionally lock the second smartkey in the car if you use the lock button on the fob outside of the car. You then need to use the button to reopen the door (I think).
I have experienced (2) but now I just make sure I see the READY indicator before taking the car out of park.
That is correct, just ignore the beeping.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
For the occasional nuisances of the Smart Key, it's still great 99.7 percent of the time, and I'd rate it among my top features.

I love not fumbling for keys, especially when I have groceries or stuff to unload. I love that I don't have to sort through everything in my pocket, stick the key in the door, then search to stick it in the ignition. I am much less apt to lock a Smart Key in my ignition than a regular key.

So I just laugh off the occasional 'grrrrr' moment. It's all good.

I agree 100%, my conventional key was always in the wrong pocket i.e. left hand carrying "stuff" = key in left pocket Arghhh!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freeze
My only beef with the smart-key is the delay with the trunk. A minor nuisance, wating for .5 seconds for the trunk to release bugs me. Probably shouldn't, but it does.
I believe it is .8 seconds and you can have it changed by the dealer.

TRUNK LID OPER
Wireless trunk opener function setting) 0.8 s PR ON

This function changes operation method
of transmitter to open luggage
compartment door.
• 1 TIME: Push once
• 2 TIMES: Push twice
• 0.8 s PR: Push and hold for 0.8 seconds
• OFF: Does not operate

1 TIME/2 TIMES/0.8 s PR/
OFF

Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been having this smart key problem for a while too. Sometimes the TCH just decides it wouldn't lock if I push the button on the door handle. I wonder if there is an applicable TSB for this????

Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
The other day my wife and I went for a hike and she wanted to leave her purse, (with SmartKey in it) in the car! As you can imagine this created all kinds of problems! I finished up taking both smart(?) keys.

2) If I go through the starting sequence too fast i.e. footbrake, start button, gearshift to drive, I find that the system often does not register the fact that I had my foot on the brake and I have to do the whole thing over again!
1. You can indeed lock a FOB in the car if you use the other FOB to lock and UNLOCK the car.

2. I find this to be a problem too. This leads to a greater problem when you're parked on a hill. The car will begin to roll down the hill before you realize the car start sequence didn't register. It is only a nuisance in the driveway, but I can see myself rolling forward into a curb or parking barrier and damaging the car on a hill.

Last edited by Sierra_Nevada; 05-20-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>The car will begin to roll down the hill before you realize the car start sequence didn't register.

Wouldn't using the parking brake when parked on a hill prevent this from being a problem?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lzc
>>Does anyone know if it is possible to have the car auto lock when the smart key is out of range?

No. A good summary of customizable electronic features is available at:

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

After the intro select Other Features, then Customizable Electronic Features.

The TCH will automtically relock the car if you unlock it and then don't enter within 60 seconds.

I wish this guide would be available off line. Very useful, I just changed some settings on my smart key.
In general I really like smart key and don’t have any problems.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I occasionally have the starting problems but if you pay attention to the 'READY' light in the MFD you will always know when the car is ready. All in all I love the FOB. I hate driving our other car because I forget I need to get my keys out.