Sticky suggestion - TSB

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sticky suggestion - TSB

Originally Posted by mikecism
This a complete red herring. Most people are honest.

TSB to me should be public knowledge to any owner - as long as I have warranty coverage, I should be aware of any TSB.

Hiding this info just breeds ill will.
I agree.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
If a manufacturer were to test every product thoroughly (so that they were sure it would be 100% reliable) and only used the highest quality product, they would come up with a new car every 5 or 10 years and it's probably cost $50,000 for a mid level sedan. I doubt it's practical nor financially prudent to do so (although I imagine high end cars, such as Mercedes, etc. do that).
This is a mass market car and they are spitting them out at a pretty quick pace.
A squeak here or a rattle there is easier to fix in the aftermarket for the handful of people who complain, rather than keep hundreds of thousands of cars in the lab (and off the market) for the period of time it takes to perfect them.
Well nothing would be perfect no matter how long you test it. That said, there have been a number of issues with the TCH, in my opinion which could be wrong. Even stupid things like the brakes! This technology is nothing new....premature brake pad wear??? Come on. And squeaks to the level that we have heard....that just boils down to poor planning and manufacturing. I had to cost them nearly as much to fix these things after the fact than weed out some before. When fixed after the fact it wastes the time of customers, service techs, service reps, TSB writers and engineers, and lets not forget the parts. That must add up.

I do wonder how many TSBs other manufactures have. It would be interesting to look at such a number when deciding who has the best quality....

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also, the sticky should be "one post" In reverse chrono order, with pdf atachement at end.

Example:

2008-Jan-04 - TSB for xyz issue
2007-Dec-20 - TSB for abc issue
2007-Nov-10 - TSB for nop issue

That sort of thing; keep it easy to scan and read. Separate posts for each is not efficient.

This way, you coudl quickly scan a post, see if one is relevant to you.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM

Who pays, the service dealer? Customers had paid - for the vehicle, warranty, etc. Toyota Corp is not like the RIAA and going to hunt people down on this.

A service desk will not fix something just becuase you have a TSB - they have to validate the issue.

The link is dead...we should have one.
Service dealers do not have to pay for a TSB. That's because a TSB is meant to be an internal Toyota document, even though it is not secret and are widely available in the public sector. (no different than Toyota Service Manuals). So when somebody has TSB's for distribution, they often charge for them. Tundrasolutions.com is a perfect example, they have every TSB online, but you need to pay them for the download privilege.

So the previous question about "paid for the TSB" was not regarding Toyota, it was regarding the source where it was downloaded from. Personally, I don't think it matters, since the TSB is public domain once it is downloaded. I've posted TSB's on here before and have no qualms about posting any other relevant TSB in my possession.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Who pays, the service dealer? Customers had paid - for the vehicle, warranty, etc. Toyota Corp is not like the RIAA and going to hunt people down on this.

A service desk will not fix something just becuase you have a TSB - they have to validate the issue.

The link is dead...we should have one.
Actually the link is not dead. You just have to take the ")" off the end of it. I think he made a typo...

Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Also, the sticky should be "one post" In reverse chrono order, with pdf atachement at end.
Fixed it. I also had 'bumped' it to the top of the forum earlier today.