TCH Speaker Buzz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default TCH Speaker Buzz?

'07 Non-nav, brand new.

Noticing that the right speaker, woofer probably, buzzes occasionally with bassier tones -- in fact, I notice it most often when human speech is playing through it. This is at normal volume. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it calls for a warranty run.

P.S. Have there been threads on the Eco Drive meter? I searched around but couldn't find much. What exactly is this thing telling me?

Old 08-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Speaker Buzz?

The buzzing is not normal. Mine sound system is fantastic. Possibly a bad speaker, or maybe just not securely mounted.

The ECO meter indicates the mileage since you've started the car. It doesn't start registering until you're above 25 mpg and maxes out around 41 mpg. Personally, I think it maxes out too low.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by FairfaxTCHer
'07 Non-nav, brand new.

Noticing that the right speaker, woofer probably, buzzes occasionally with bassier tones -- in fact, I notice it most often when human speech is playing through it. This is at normal volume. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it calls for a warranty run.

P.S. Have there been threads on the Eco Drive meter? I searched around but couldn't find much. What exactly is this thing telling me?
Did you check the BASS setting? I have the NAV system and on mine it was set at max by default when delivered. I wasn't getting a buzz, but there was some sound distortion until I slid the BASS setting closer to mid range on the scale. On the non-NAV system I don't know where your BASS slider is located.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

My non-NAV TCH also had the stereo set for max bass when it was delivered. I wonder if this strange setting is from the stereo factory, from Toyota, or from ill-considered dealer prep?

I also wonder whether at least a few of the complaints I've seen about the sound quality might be because the bass/treble settings are weird and have not been fixed. Mine is not the best car stereo I've ever heard, but it's way better than average (I rent 35-40 cars per year on business, and I travel with a CD collection, so I've heard LOTS of car stereos for comparison!).

Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, the bass setting was the first place I looked. It was right in the middle at zero - I pumped it down a bit and that eased the problem but obviously if there's buzz at all at low volumes, something ain't right.

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. Hope not for ya'lls sakes. I do wonder, though, if the noiselessness of this car elevates tiny clicks and clacks to problem status, where you just wouldn't hear it in other vehicles. E.g. we've been drively loose-screwed autos around for 100 years and not realizing it! (nah)

Old 08-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
The ECO meter indicates the mileage since you've started the car. It doesn't start registering until you're above 25 mpg and maxes out around 41 mpg. Personally, I think it maxes out too low.
Agreed. I think it should the ECO graph should slide so it always registers, high or low. Or maybe I could have sprung for the more informative nav model and I could quit complaining.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

My sound is incredible even at full tilt. No buzz.