Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

Originally Posted by Bobby Soprano

That would be nice. That's the most annoying thing about some factory NAV systems IMO. My 2007 Infiniti QX56 is the same deal. There is a hack for the Infiniti which involves cutting a wire and installing a switch. No way I'm attempting that until my warranty is up.
I am still wondering if anyone has tried to make a hacked 7.1 disc. I don't want to get off topic too much though. There is another thread on the NAV discussion.

I really want to hear how the iPod thing turned out

Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bobby Soprano

That would be nice. That's the most annoying thing about some factory NAV systems IMO. My 2007 Infiniti QX56 is the same deal. There is a hack for the Infiniti which involves cutting a wire and installing a switch. No way I'm attempting that until my warranty is up.
Yeah, the one solution I found is like that but a bit different. I'll have a small black switch near the armrest cig. lighter jack. Off position will keep the normal wiring. On position will route the signal through this black box I'm building tomorrow that will keep a constant speed of 1mph for permanent enabling of all NAV functions at any speed.

I've only had the car for 3 weeks and I'm ready to stab the thing.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

Part one is done! The pulse generator works perfectly though it does have a few drawbacks in real world testing. It unlocks all functionality instantly and I set it up with a switch so I can turn it on and off easily. Unfortunately it seems our NAV system relies very heavily on the car relaying speed to it so the car's position is somewhat erratic. I'm 100% ok with that though since I don't always need access to the screen.

Will have the ipod kit from Scosche on Monday or Tuesday.

BTW, for those that didn't know this already. There's a fun debug / diagnostic mode available in the NAV. Hold down the INFO button then cycle the headlights on, off, on, off, on, off then let go of the INFO button. Voila, a new screen pops up with lots of interesting information.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, here are some updates.

1) The pulse generator we built needs a few tweaks so it's on a workbench right now. In the meantime I've made a 7.1 hybrid disc (using the 5.1 firmware) that has the override option and it's working fine while we work out the kinks.

2) AXIPTA device from Scosche is in and I've found a few issues with it. It sounds GREAT. There's no engine noise from being powered by the car (devices in the AUX jack that are powered by the cig. lighter tend to have engine noise). It is a total hack. The song names are cut off because the space where they can be displayed is quite small. They say it's integrated into the car but if you have the NAV screen you'll be dispappointed by how little the system utilizes it. Of course it emulates a SAT receiver and I guess there's only so much you can do with that.

My biggest annoyance so far is that the steering wheel controls will not change tracks. I called tech support and the guy that answered the phone was just about worthless.

Me: Hi, I'm having a problem with my AXIPTA.
Him: Ok.
<silence>

Me: The steering wheel controls on my car don't change tracks.
Him: Yeah. They might not.
<silence>

Worthless.

Also it will not automatically resume the track playing after powering off unless you put it in manual control mode (where the ipod's controls are used instead of through the stereo). Heck even after a phone call, it doesn't resume playing.

Bottom line is, the device is better than an AUX jack input but I'm not sure "Integration" should be used anywhere in the description of it.

Also, if you can get it online for cheap, do it. It's stupid simple to install.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wavern

1) The pulse generator we built needs a few tweaks so it's on a workbench right now. In the meantime I've made a 7.1 hybrid disc (using the 5.1 firmware) that has the override option and it's working fine while we work out the kinks.

2) AXIPTA device from Scosche is in and I've found a few issues with it. It sounds GREAT. There's no engine noise from being powered by the car (devices in the AUX jack that are powered by the cig. lighter tend to have engine noise). It is a total hack. The song names are cut off because the space where they can be displayed is quite small. They say it's integrated into the car but if you have the NAV screen you'll be dispappointed by how little the system utilizes it. Of course it emulates a SAT receiver and I guess there's only so much you can do with that.

My biggest annoyance so far is that the steering wheel controls will not change tracks. I called tech support and the guy that answered the phone was just about worthless.

Me: Hi, I'm having a problem with my AXIPTA.
Him: Ok.
<silence>

Me: The steering wheel controls on my car don't change tracks.
Him: Yeah. They might not.
<silence>

Worthless.

Also it will not automatically resume the track playing after powering off unless you put it in manual control mode (where the ipod's controls are used instead of through the stereo). Heck even after a phone call, it doesn't resume playing.

Bottom line is, the device is better than an AUX jack input but I'm not sure "Integration" should be used anywhere in the description of it.

Also, if you can get it online for cheap, do it. It's stupid simple to install.
That's a bit disappointing....

Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
That's a bit disappointing....
I agree, I had big hopes also

Old 01-26-2008, 02:52 PM
pjp
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wavern

Thanks very much for posting this. Disappointing results, for sure, but this is helpful to know. For me at least, this crosses that option off the list.

Cheers

PJP

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I installed the DICE Ipod kit in my TCH and the wife's Prius and we both love it and have had no issues. The steering wheel controls work just fine. You don't have to give up sat. Approx. $220 US.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:56 PM

But wasn't there some kind of downside to the DICE? For some reason I thought something did not work right or there was something on your dash.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Well it took Scosche *9* days to respond to my e-mail inquiry. They said the steering wheel controls would not work but that the resuming pause after power off / other interruption should work.. so I might have a defective unit. I'm going to call them tomorrow for some instant response since I don't feel like wait another week for more details.

BTW, if any of you are in the Bay Area and want some help making a 7.1 nav hack disc, feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands