Walking away with the FOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Walking away with the FOB

Ok, it sounds like I'd rather have a key than the FOB. If the FOB gets lost or left someplace after the car is running and you don't notice (say you drove home from a three hour trip) you shut down and you are screwed. Sounds like I'd rather have a good old key. I never had a problem a key...and they are a LOT cheaper!! Why all this electronic mess....One more thing to go wrong.

What about hacking? It MUST be possible...if something is made my man it can be broken by man.

Side question, when you purchase the TCH, do you get one or two FOBs?

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Dazed and Confused

So far there have been 0 reports of cars with the Toyota FOB starting system being stolen. This is becasue they are near impossible to hack and steel. I am sure somebody could do it, but if they are smart enough to do it, they will probably target a more profitable item.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
This is true if the KEY IS IN THE IGNITION, on all recent Toyotas, however, you can lock the doors with the inside power lock button on the TCH without the fob in your possession, (or with the fob in possession) then close the door, all doors remain locked.

If the fob is left in the car, it will not lock. Pretty SMART!
Ah...didn't realize that. Good to know. My civic and CRV won't let you lock the driver side door regardless if the key is in the ignition or not

Old 01-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Ok, it sounds like I'd rather have a key than the FOB. If the FOB gets lost or left someplace after the car is running and you don't notice (say you drove home from a three hour trip) you shut down and you are screwed. Sounds like I'd rather have a good old key. I never had a problem a key...and they are a LOT cheaper!! Why all this electronic mess....One more thing to go wrong.

What about hacking? It MUST be possible...if something is made my man it can be broken by man.

Side question, when you purchase the TCH, do you get one or two FOBs?

With a TCH you don't have a choice between a FOB or key...all TCH's come standard with a FOB

Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jbollt
This is true if the KEY IS IN THE IGNITION, on all recent Toyotas, however, you can lock the doors with the inside power lock button on the TCH without the fob in your possession, (or with the fob in possession) then close the door, all doors remain locked.

If the fob is left in the car, it will not lock. Pretty SMART!
You can lock a fob in the car. Just not the fob you use to lock the car. If my wife wants to leave her purse in the car and the purse has her fob in it I can lock the car with her purse and fob in the car.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
You can lock a fob in the car. Just not the fob you use to lock the car. If my wife wants to leave her purse in the car and the purse has her fob in it I can lock the car with her purse and fob in the car.
But that would still leave the car vulnerable. As soon as you touched the door handle the doors would unlock after 10 seconds, and then you could start the car - couldn't you?

I leave my fob in my pocket at all times, and when i approach my car, the interior light automatically comes on, and as soon as I touch the door handle all doors unlock. I leave the fob in the car whenever I valet park to make the situation easy.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=OmegaOmega;109101]But that would still leave the car vulnerable. As soon as you touched the door handle the doors would unlock after 10 seconds, and then you could start the car - couldn't you?
......quote]

No. The car will not open by touching the door handle if the fob is inside!
Amazing!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

[quote=jbollt;109106]
Originally Posted by OmegaOmega
But that would still leave the car vulnerable. As soon as you touched the door handle the doors would unlock after 10 seconds, and then you could start the car - couldn't you?
......quote]

No. The car will not open by touching the door handle if the fob is inside!
Amazing!
Absolutely correct. The car is smart enought to realize the fob is inside the passenger (or trunk) compartment and unless there is another fob outside, the doors will not open just because someone touches the handle. The engineers really thought things out.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing you could lock the FOB in the trunk. Consider this scenario:

1) FOB in your shirt pocket, no other FOBS inside the car. You park your car, get out, close the door and lock the car via the button on the door handle

2) You walk over to the trunk, open it, bend over to retrieve something -- now the FOB accidentally slips out of your shirt pocket and into the trunk without you knowing..

3) you close the trunk and go on about your business..

Now.. will the TCH warn you that the FOB is inside the car/trunk? Will it allow the trunk to be closed? Will it unlock the doors when you close the trunk with the FOB in it?

I just thought about this scenario. I may give it a try later tonight.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

I think you would be SOL in that case.

You could loks your keys to a "normal" car in the trunk by doing the same thing.

I have just cliped my fob to a "rope chain" that I have my gym pass on. I then just throw that over my head and put it in my shirt. You can't see the FOB, and it can't fall out of my pocket, I won't frget it in the car, etc... It is with me at all times, and I can even workout at the gym with out keys in my pocket.

Quick Reply: Walking away with the FOB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands