When your MPG go up, does your cruising range go up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: When your MPG go up, does your cruising range go up?

Thanks for the insight Stan!

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I've seen it over 700 miles!
Originally Posted by SPL
The algorithm uses information accumulated over a number of tanks as the basis for your long-term average FE; this is what is used for the Cruising Range calculation....
Absolutely, since mine is never over the 500 range.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
GNB
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
In 30,000 miles, I've never seen the cruising range go up, other than at fill-up time. I have seen it NOT go down for miles...when I am getting great mpg.

I've also seen it drop VERY fast near the bottom of the tank. I can leave my house with 14 miles to empty showing, and within a mile or 2, it shows 0...at the same time, the trip mileage in the ECO meter shows 35-40mpg!

I share your confusion.

I have had that experience happen to me. The meter was showing 14 kms, and I was 2 kms away from the service area. As I was about to leave the highway to access the service area, the meter was showing 0.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When your tank-average mpg goes up, your total tank range does go up. I define your total tank range as follows:
total tank range = distance travelled so far on tank + cruising range remaining on tank.
To find your total tank range, add the distance travelled so far on tank from the trip indicator to the cruising range from the MFD. You'll find that this combined number does fluctuate up and down as your tank-average mpg varies. I can't absolutely say that the car's cruising range estimate never increases, but I can absolutely say that the total tank range does sometimes increase. The ECU seems to hold the cruising range readout approximately constant while letting your steadily increasing driving distance make the necessary increase to the total tank range. This seems reasonable.

Stan