Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Ok...I run with my AC set to 72, fan speed is usually medium (3-4 bars), then when the car cools down, I drop it to 1-2 bars. The AC is always set on ECO mode. I drive approximately 9 miles to work with 16 lights/stop signs. The speed limit ranges from 25 - 55 during the drive. I've been coasting whenever I can and trying to lightly use the gas pedal, which then causes me to go under the speed limit, then I apply gas gently to get the speed back up. I find I'm constantly gently pumping the gas pedal during the trip. I've gone a little over 500 miles. I've filled up once and still have 400 to go on the tank. I find myself tensing up during the drive and have to consciously relax myself and I'm only getting 31.8 MPG. My car also has the nav system. What am I doing wrong? Why am I only getting 31.8? I was hoping for 35MPG

Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Originally Posted by SilverToyCam
Ok...I run with my AC set to 72, fan speed is usually medium (3-4 bars), then when the car cools down, I drop it to 1-2 bars. The AC is always set on ECO mode. I drive approximately 9 miles to work with 16 lights/stop signs. The speed limit ranges from 25 - 55 during the drive. I've been coasting whenever I can and trying to lightly use the gas pedal, which then causes me to go under the speed limit, then I apply gas gently to get the speed back up. I find I'm constantly gently pumping the gas pedal during the trip. I've gone a little over 500 miles. I've filled up once and still have 400 to go on the tank. I find myself tensing up during the drive and have to consciously relax myself and I'm only getting 31.8 MPG. My car also has the nav system. What am I doing wrong? Why am I only getting 31.8? I was hoping for 35MPG
There is another thread regarding low mileage. You may want to check that out.
  1. I would suggest applying the gas pedal a little less gently and get back to speed that much more quickly so you just have to maintain speed.
  2. Watch your instantaneous mpg gauge and learn from it. WVGasGuy has correctly pointed out that there are times you'll accelerate, reach speed and notice that you're getting 20 mpg. You then ease off the gas and still maintain speed, but you're mileage has gone to 40 mpg.
  3. On stretches below about 40 mph accelerate a couple of mph above your desired speed, totally release the gas pedal until the ICE turns off (instantaneous mpg gauge pegged at bottom) and give it a little gas to keep it at the speed without the ICE turning back on.
  4. Anticipate lights. If you see a red light 1/2 mile away stay in the right lane and take your foot off the gas. You'll lose a little speed, recharge the batteries and hopefully not have to slow down as much before the green.
  5. Generally you DON'T want to accelerate in electric mode. Toyota's literature claims the car will run on the traction motor alone during light to moderate acceleration. Bulls@#$. The ICE will kick in at anything except the angonizingly slowest acceleration. Plus you'll use up way too much battery getting to speed. You're much better off moderately accelerating to speed and then using the traction motor to hold you there. I'll only use the traction motor to accelerate when I'm on base and the speed limit is 15 mph.
Hope you see better mileage.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:14 AM

You have a lot of stops - that kills your momentum and makes it hard to get great mileage. However, I think you may be accelerating too gently from your description. Try moving up to speed at a "normal pace". Watch the instant mpg meter and give it enough gas to keep in between 10 and 20 mpg when accelerating, then back off after going a few mph faster than your target speed. Backing off will drop you into EV mode once you have gone a few miles and are under 40mph. If going over 40mph, you should be able to keep the instant mpg meter above 40mph after getting up to speed (unless you are going up a hill of course!)

If traffic allows, try to brake lightly and early if you have to stop to get the most out of regen. Also check your tire pressures, go at least with 35psi. I run 42psi and don't notice a difference in the ride.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 AM

yep, you are getting killed by all the starts and stops. That's a bad commute for a hybrid. Mine is similar - 7 miles with 12 lights/stops and I'm having trouble figuring out the best driving methods also. I'm at 36.4 for my current tank and it's dropping every day. I'm gonna figure it out though, and so will you.

Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Question about regenerative braking:

Is it better for FE to anticipate stop signs and red lights by simply taking your foot off the accelerator and coasting as long as possible, or is it better to lightly apply the brakes a bit later than the above scenario?

Would both of these give you the same net energy from regeneration?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
Question about regenerative braking:

Is it better for FE to anticipate stop signs and red lights by simply taking your foot off the accelerator and coasting as long as possible, or is it better to lightly apply the brakes a bit later than the above scenario?

Would both of these give you the same net energy from regeneration?
I find it best to brake lightly until I drop into EV mode (under 40mph) and then coast up to the stop, braking more normally as I come to the stop sign or red light.

A chart showing the regen rate vs speed and braking force exists for the Prius, and shows as the car slows down the amount of regen braking force goes up considerably. The regen braking force starts to taper off below 15 mph and is gone by 6 mph. I'll edit with the URL if I can find that chart.

Edit: Found two charts, the first is the one I've seen before. The second one is acutal data recorded while braking. Both claim to be for a 2004 model Prius.

Last edited by nash; 07-20-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice....I'll just keep working on my driving technique.....boy didn't know it was going to be that much of a learning curve when going to a hybrid......yeah, I know it's only if I want the high gas mileage....which I do since I went hybrid

Old 07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverToyCam
My guess is in a std 4cyl Camry you would be only getting 22-24 in same situation and while I would hope for better it is still a 40-45% savings in fuel.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I only got 32.6mpg on my first tank but now I have a quarter left of my second and my average is up to 35.7mpg. I think that, along with the comments stated by other posters earlier, you also have to consider that everything still needs to get broken in. I’m guessing that since the ICE doesn’t run as much as a standard vehicle that it may take a little longer for this to happen. My TCH is my first hybrid (not counting the FEH that I get to drive once and a while at work) and I’m still getting used to driving it. I can’t really complain with 32mpg on the first tank because I usually drive 80+ on the highway when I can and my old 6cyl Taurus would only get 19-20mpg.

I do notice, however, that if I get on to the highway and get up to speed quickly I can maintain a constant speed with the gauge reading 45-55 mpg if the road is relatively flat.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bumzyman
I only got 32.6mpg on my first tank but now I have a quarter left of my second and my average is up to 35.7mpg. I think that, along with the comments stated by other posters earlier, you also have to consider that everything still needs to get broken in. I’m guessing that since the ICE doesn’t run as much as a standard vehicle that it may take a little longer for this to happen. My TCH is my first hybrid (not counting the FEH that I get to drive once and a while at work) and I’m still getting used to driving it. I can’t really complain with 32mpg on the first tank because I usually drive 80+ on the highway when I can and my old 6cyl Taurus would only get 19-20mpg.
Me, too. The first tank was something like 35. Second tank was 38. I haven't filled the third tank, but the computer is showing almost 42. I have modified my driving technique significantly...including slowing down to the posted limit and driving on roads that have a 40 MPH limit. I have found that 40 MPH is the TCH sweet spot as it is at the high end of the allowable EV mode.

Quick Reply: Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands