Different between Package8 and upgraded leather.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Different between Package8 and upgraded leather.

What is the different between package 8 and Package 7 with upgraded leather interior uprade with liquicell technology? Does Package 8 come with leather with liquicell technology? Is it distributor or Toyota installed?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Different between Package8 and upgraded leather.

I've never heard of liquicell technology. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

This is the clearest answer I can give. Package 8 is factory leather. Every Prius that is Package 8 from the factory has leather.

Package 7 does not come from the factory with leather, ever.

That means that the dealer is having leather put on the seats of Package 7 vehicles when the vehicle arrives, or the regional management is putting leather on those cars at the port. GST and SE regions do a lot of non-Toyota port upgrades. Most other regions do very few if any port upgrades.

Factory leather is your best bet, so Package 8. Aftermarket leather can be very well done, if done by experts. There are folks who have had aftermarket leather installed prior to delivery and it has been done very well. And others have seen it done very poorly. There isn't a whole lot of QC when leather is not installed by the factory.

I'm also pretty sure that the leather the dealer is suggesting on the non-equipped package 7 can be done at a later date through a shop you choose and to your specifications for at least a few hundred less than what the dealer is charging you. Call some upholstery shops and see what they say and compare their quote to what the dealer is charging for non-facotry leather.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Different between Package8 and upgraded leather.

Originally Posted by JeromeP
I've never heard of liquicell technology. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

This is the clearest answer I can give. Package 8 is factory leather. Every Prius that is Package 8 from the factory has leather.

Package 7 does not come from the factory with leather, ever.

That means that the dealer is having leather put on the seats of Package 7 vehicles when the vehicle arrives, or the regional management is putting leather on those cars at the port. GST and SE regions do a lot of non-Toyota port upgrades. Most other regions do very few if any port upgrades.

Factory leather is your best bet, so Package 8. Aftermarket leather can be very well done, if done by experts. There are folks who have had aftermarket leather installed prior to delivery and it has been done very well. And others have seen it done very poorly. There isn't a whole lot of QC when leather is not installed by the factory.

I'm also pretty sure that the leather the dealer is suggesting on the non-equipped package 7 can be done at a later date through a shop you choose and to your specifications for at least a few hundred less than what the dealer is charging you. Call some upholstery shops and see what they say and compare their quote to what the dealer is charging for non-facotry leather.
Liquicell Technology is good for your back if you have back problem.
I calculated between Package 7 with upgraded leather and package and the price is the same. Yes, you're right. Package 7 doesn't come with leather but they offer an option to upgrade:
L2 Leather Interior Upgrade.
-Leather Interior Upgrade
-Incl: Leather Faced Seat
-Liquicell Comfort Technology $1,160.

I don't know it is a distributor installed or not. I don't know Package 8 leather come with liquicell technology.

Last edited by TMCHAN; 05-24-2006 at 04:16 PM.