Funny IntelligentKey Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Captain Planet
Default Funny IntelligentKey Story

I bought my new (red!) Prius the last day of the year, and a few days down the road I couldn't find my second key. So I instantly blamed the sales lady for not giving me one. (she didn't know anything about the Prius and almost screwed me over by cashing my check before I told her to) ANYways, so we checked our pockets and such -couldn't find it.

A few days later - I had gotten so used to starting the car without putting the key in. So I dive in the drivers seat and push POWER enthusiastically. Then I realized I had left the key inside my house. Ah HA! I thought. So the spare must be INSIDE the vehicle.

So me and my man look around in the car for they key -nowhere. Then we empty the ENTIRE car and search for the key -car still starts. It got so frustrating that we made each other stand at the edge of the driveway, then start the car, just to make sure one of us didn't accidently snack on the key. No luck. We searched for an hour or so, and I was convinced the car had a glitch. (And what a scary glitch that would be- anyone can just start your car and drive away!)

We go to the nearest Toyota dealership and tell them of our situation. They just laugh at me like I'm a crazy girl and tell me, "The key HAS to be inside the car-there's no other explanation, hunny." So I tell them - FINE 50bucks to who finds the key first (jokingly, of course)

They search and search, and make me stand away thinking Im just blonde and have they key on me. NOPE. The car was still starting on it's own. So boss-man comes from the back. "what seems to be the problem" and he drives my car off to look for it himself.

I was sure I was going to have to rip the keyless start button off permanently.

Then a guy comes around the corner with my lost key. It had slipped into the floor air vents below the driver's seat. The key is the perfect size to just slip in the vent and it had apparently gone so far in that he had to use a magnet on a stick to get they key out.

At least my car's not glitched and I'm not crazy.

funny huh?

-Ashton Ross Taylor

Old 01-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Funny IntelligentKey Story

Well, that qualifies as the funniest smart-key story I've heard so far! Congratulations on recovering your sanity.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Funny IntelligentKey Story

That certainly qualifies as a "You know your a hybrid owner ..."

xxx) Losing your key in the car means it can be driven off all the time.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
Well, that qualifies as the funniest smart-key story I've heard so far! Congratulations on recovering your sanity.
Well, they don't call it an intelligent key for nothing.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
BeechSportBill

Hmm - wonder how many folks besides the superior PRIUS owners even KNOW how to start and run a Prius? I did have to explain it to the Car Wash guy the other day, and he kept trying to tell me it didn't start, even when he was pulling around to the wash bay (on battery, natch!) Probably an idea to leave out the wireless key explanation, and then the thief that was trying to steal it would give up without a key!

Last edited by BeechSportBill; 03-19-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: comment
Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

If the SKS saw the key in the car then you shouldn't have been able to lock it. That's the way to tell if it's in the car. There are three FOB receivers in the car.

Funny though.