U.S. New and World Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default U.S. New and World Report

I was reading a US News magazine the other day and it showed a diagram of the hybrid cars. It showed that electricity was generated by the the heat created while braking. Obviouly this is bogus. Did anyone else read this article on hybrids and what did you think of it.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Prius <3r
Default Re: U.S. New and World Report

But the Prius battery recharges while braking, isn't the process called regenerative braking? Well, at least the newer Priuses do, not sure about the older models or other makes even since you're saying hybrids and not the Prius specifically.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Regenerative braking yes, but not through use of heat. The wheels turn a generator -- the same device that a moment ago was acting as a motor ..

Old 05-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Site Founder

It's likely just a case of bad physics. What the diagram likely was trying to convey was that had the energy not been recaptured, it would have been lost in the form of heat like traditional cars? I don't know if that's how conventional cars usually work, but that's the physics logic here (right or otherwise).