Differences in years of FEH

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Differences in years of FEH

Originally Posted by tcampb01
I stand corrected.

I'm always _extremely_ careful with my words. I am annoyed by people who exaggerate or who jump to conclusions and then state their conclusion as a fact when they really have no valid basis to conclude it's a fact. And yet, there it is on the sticker and, btw, also in the 05 owners manual (yes I checked because I actually considered that the window sticker is just wrong) -- on page 207 where it discusses how the ABS is supposed to work.

If it's actually there, then either my system is defective, or there's a general software bug preventing it from engaging when it should, or it's so insensitive that it's not really effective.

Regards,
Tim
I'm not sure how the system works during cold weather in conjuction with the regenerative brakes. I know that Ford has recent (last couple of years) patents regarding integration of regenerative braking and ABS, but the earlier FEH would not have had this patent incorporated. So it is quite possible that the ABS was disabled in cold weather, but would work in warmer temperatures.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Differences in years of FEH

There have been several "long" discussion on regenerative braking in cold weather with GPS1man providing much detail. In short, the temperature of your hybrid battery will determine how well recharging and discharging will occur in cold weather.

As for the ABS braking, I previously had a Sable wagon with ABS and the light on the dash did not "light" up during ABS braking. The MIL do not light up unless there is a fault.

As for the ABS light on my Escape I have seen it light up once when I obtained a "system shut down" light and I lost power of the vehicle. This occurred in late August 2007. A simple restart of the vehicle and all was fine. I had the battery harness recall done in September 2007. I ski during the winter months and travel most weekends to do so. My mother lives in northern Wisconsin, a short drive from a location in the UP of Michigan where 238 inches of snow a year is the norm. I have never experience braking "lock-up" in the Ford Escape Hybrid as I had experienced years ago in vehicles that did not have ABS.