Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Default Re: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Originally Posted by wwest
The ONLY mechanical differences between the standard Ford engine and the Atkinson cycle engine is the cam intake lobe timing and duration and the compression ratio of 13:1 vs ~10:1. The latter probably done via slight head milling or cylinder head "geography".
Both engines have the same head and block part numbers, so this indicates to me the pistons are what changes the compression ratio. The pistons must be of a pop-up design because the bore, stroke and valves are the same in both engines and heads.

GaryG

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Originally Posted by GaryG
Both engines have the same head and block part numbers, so this indicates to me the pistons are what changes the compression ratio. The pistons must be of a pop-up design because the bore, stroke and valves are the same in both engines and heads.

GaryG
Makes sense..