Nav system bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav system bypass

I had followed the lockpick development since 07 when I bought my Escalade and there were various technical issues with the device. Problems ranged from inconsistent operation to various seemingly unrelated issues like Navi and DIC errors. The thing needs to reside on and talk to the GMLAN and, as with most computer driven systems, 3rd party devices don't always play well wtih OEM devices. I'm sure if you google it you'll find some of them. I haven't checked on this lately since my only interest was to add bluetooth to my Escalade which has since been replaced with my 09 Tahoe Hybrid (which has bluetooth functionality that works great). I don't use the Navi much and have no desire to play DVD's on the front screen while I'm driving (not sure who would)

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShakinEakin
Do you still have the "Directions and Connections" OnStar plan (first year free)? If so, just call OnStar and they will upload the new location for you.

Have you also used MapQuest to pre-load all your locations? Much easier then typing in the location on the screen.

It's an extra $100/year on top of the normal OnStar "Safe & Sound" plan... But, I do like the service. It's makes it real easy to setup a restaurant reservation or find that place I'm looking for.

Even on a road trip they helped me locate the nearest In-n-Out while I was driving (we all know how important that is). The alternative was to pull over, type it in and search for it.

Chris.
Good Morning, Yes I still have Directions and Connections and have used this to download destinations from Onstar into the Navigation computer this works great! I have also used the turn by turn navigation from Onstar that downloads to the DIC and it works great also. Thank you for your reply. I just completed a 650 mile trip and was able to keep the ECO meter in the middle of the green, even while braking and was able to achieve 30.1MPH. I am really trying for maxium efficenecy.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by CPMS
Regarding Ken's original question, most Navi functions are disabled of you're moving. If you come to a stop you can usually enter/change stuff (I don't think you have to put the vehicle in park). Only way around this is the lockpick and I've read more negative than positive about those kits.

The "Directions and Connections" is another option. The Mapquest thing is pretty cool, I had a 3 month free trial in my Escalade when they first made the function available.
Thanks for the information. I am still new to the Hybrid. However on my last trip I realized that when you come to a complete stop all functions on the Navigation Computer are avialable. Could you explain to me the Mapquest feature? I do not understand this. Thanks for your help. Kind Regards Ken

Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 AM

I had followed the lockpick development since 07 when I bought my Escalade and there were various technical issues with the device. Problems ranged from inconsistent operation to various seemingly unrelated issues like Navi and DIC errors. The thing needs to reside on and talk to the GMLAN and, as with most computer driven systems, 3rd party devices don't always play well wtih OEM devices. I'm sure if you google it you'll find some of them. I haven't checked on this lately since my only interest was to add bluetooth to my Escalade which has since been replaced with my 09 Tahoe Hybrid (which has bluetooth functionality that works great). I don't use the Navi much and have no desire to play DVD's on the front screen while I'm driving (not sure who would)
Thanks for the information you seem very knowledgable on the system, I like the bluetooth feature as well.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I installed the BlueFusion in my '08. This kept me from installing the lockpick, as they do not work together. On my big roadtrip, I would have watched the DVD from the driver's seat, I know that for a fact, as I sometimes leaned into the back seat to catch a glimpse.
I really, really, really hate the destination lockout on the GM nav system. I think this is retarded thinking on GM's part and hopefully whatever legal counsel gave them that advice was left with "old GM" and never paid.
All I want is a simple unlock for that function.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree - it was a simple unlock function that drove me to the lockpic. The other functions are just icing on the cake.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't use the Navi much and have no desire to play DVD's on the front screen while I'm driving (not sure who would)
Uhhhh... maybe the wife in the front passengers seat! It's kind of hard for her to see the screen in the back with the kids.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thats one of the reason I have my Lockpick.