HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who has daily battery dumps or recals?

Originally Posted by morgante
For my car to throw the IMA battery deterioration code, it took roughly 1 recal (full cycle from 7-8 bars, to 1-2 bars, back to 8) per 2-3 miles city driving along with near-instant recals upon starting the car. This is with the latest software. The IMA light came on just before the SoC would start jumping up to 8 bars.

I took it in to a local dealer yesterday, and once they saw deterioration codes they ordered a replacement pack with no questions asked.
How long have you been dealing with recal?

The last three to five days have been extremely rough with recals. I am getting a minimum of two recals every trip I take. My daily commute to work consists of 35 miles one way. I am getting a total of four recals each day. I also have noticed my avg mpg has went from 44.5 to 40.4 off a full tank of gas. The forced charge duration has been getting shorter and shorter and have noticed rapid jumps in SoC, 3 bars to 8 bars.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
mpk
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by morgante
I took it in to a local dealer yesterday, and once they saw deterioration codes they ordered a replacement pack with no questions asked.
I'm glad that you didn't experience any runarounds. What state is the dealer located in? Reports are that it is easier to get a replacement in California.

Also, does your invoice say "REMAN" anywhere?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TBaFFz
How long have you been dealing with recal?

The last three to five days have been extremely rough with recals. I am getting a minimum of two recals every trip I take. My daily commute to work consists of 35 miles one way. I am getting a total of four recals each day. I also have noticed my avg mpg has went from 44.5 to 40.4 off a full tank of gas. The forced charge duration has been getting shorter and shorter and have noticed rapid jumps in SoC, 3 bars to 8 bars.
Been dealing with recals since about a week after I bought the car new with 57 miles on it in April 2009. Started with it happening about once a week, then progressed to once every 2-3 days by the end of 2009. Started seeing them regularly once a day by early summer 2010, and finally multiple times per day and drive until now, when the deterioration threshold was finally crossed. I'm pretty sure the battery was defective/unbalanced when I took delivery; my theory is it sat around unused for too long. Poor car was manufactured in September 2008 and wasn't sold for 7 months, so who knows how often it was driven to keep the IMA NiMH cells happy.

Originally Posted by mpk
I'm glad that you didn't experience any runarounds. What state is the dealer located in? Reports are that it is easier to get a replacement in California.

Also, does your invoice say "REMAN" anywhere?
Dealer is Chapman Honda in Tucson, AZ. I had a great experience with everyone I've dealt with in their service department so far. The invoice says:

RENG: GENERAL ENGINE
CK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON
Caused by
CHECKED OUT AND HAS A FAULTY IMA BATTERY REPLACED ASSEMBLY
Corrected by 1181H5: (03217)
Work performed by <technician's name here> (276)
Installed 1D100-RMX-405RM : IMA BATTERY ASSY. Qty: 1
Freight: FEDEX OVERNIGHT

No REMAN- forgot to ask the advisor if he knew whether it was new or refurbished.

The first 20 miles of city driving after the pack was installed yielded 51.2 MPG- quite happy with that. So nice to have the IMA system working as it should.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

After the new upgrade, I now have them every time I stop the car (has been 3 days like that) I took the car to the dealer yesterday again and they are looking at it.

I posted a video of what it does on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH5KYT3t0Lk