HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

This whole slow acceleration business... help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: This whole slow acceleration business... help!

Originally Posted by msantos
I concede, I would lose the argument for sure. I seemed to recall that part of "Apple Valley" included the Zoo area, which at the time seemed kind of hilly. My bad memory does not help at all !
You're right, there are some hilly parts around the MN Zoo but it's only around the zoo. My memory isn't as good as it use to be either (haha). I bet we can agree, that we're here to have fun and support other HCHII owners.

BTW, This is a great forum! It's hard to find other forums posting info about HCHII.

Peace,
Paul

Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Enthusiast

A 7 mile drive in 10F with no block heater? I'd be surprized if your engine reached normal operating temperature (190)by the time you get to work. If you're using your heater you are probably not getting to 150. You can't compare your fe to anyone in Canada unless they have the same distance commute. The engine temp is critical.
Jmess

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A few responses to random comments here:

The stock tires will be OKAY if the road is plowed.
Snow tires are always a good idea.
Snow rims are a nice convenience if you can afford them. Otherwise, there is not much harm in swapping tires twice a year (I have done both for several years).
Most Blizzacks are probably LRR tires -- check the old GreenSeal report.
TripleTread is a good tire that is greatly marketed and will negatively affect your FE.

That is all.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Man..... its as if you could read my mind, noflash! I was just looking at the Goodyear TripleTred as a good all season option that incorporates the LRR as well, and would get me away from having to swtich these things all the time.

So, do we have any idea how badly the TripleTred effect FE? This site is amazing!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

3-5 mpg, I'd say.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
06 Honda Civic Hybrid

I have found that accelerating at a quick high speed and then letting off the gas gives me a higher MPH than starting off slow... I tried it all..and that works the best for me..getting 50 + in town using that technique.

But, I mean a quick start... 4-5 bars of assist for about 3-4 seconds gets me up to speed quick...I do not mean floor it... 1/4 -1/2 push on the gas ... and then keeping it under 1400 RPM... and I also noticed that driving bare foot or socks only gives me a better feel and control on my mpg.