05 HAH Navi DVD error

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 05 HAH Navi DVD error

Sorry to tell you but sounds like your laser is about to die. You know they all have lifespan. Probably yours has reached the end. If you are electronics-optics guy you might open the box and replace it if you know what are you doing but for most folks it is impossible :-( So your dealer is right.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't recall where I read this, but doesn't a typical CD/DVD-ROM laser have a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) of 10,000 hours? Or maybe it was more? I'm not saying that anybody that's having this problem doesn't have a laser that's dying on them, but that it seems like an unlikely cause? I work in electronics and from what I've been hearing, I'd lean towards it being a particular component within the unit. Like a bad chip or novram. However, like you've already found out. Dealerships don't troubleshoot down to the component level. They just offer you a typical whole unit swap to fix it. "Swaptronics" at it's finest. But in their defense, car dealerships aren't designed/trained/equipped to troubleshoot stuff like that.

It might still be expensive, but you could always try looking for a new Navi unit in a salvage yard. The problem is, which part of the Navi unit to replace? I'd start with the disc reader since the problems mostly always relate to the message of a disc error.

If you use your Navi for 2 hours per day, every day, for three years, that's only 2,190 hours.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 PM

gncox, carbonita, and aholodak:

I saw this in another thread:
(4) TSB 08-051, TSB date 2008/08/06 - DVD Read error, or no route display, And DVD is Scratched.

Although it's for the HCH, I wonder if you're experiencing the same problems and could benefit from the same fix actions? I haven't looked at the TSB yet, so I don't know what it entails. But, I thought I'd share it with you and hope it helps.

Last edited by bar10dah; 03-26-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM

I found it! And, it does say the '06, '07, and '08 Accord is included.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-051.PDF

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Cool, well done! Thanks for sharing the find.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Great find! This is the problem I am having although I did get the brand new disc, so it must be the Navigation System itself. However, this does not include the 2005 year model. I will bring this paperwork to the dealership to see what they say in reference to the problem. They should definitely include the HAH 05 in this.

Thanks for your efforts. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

Any luck resolving this problem? I am having the exact same problem - "DVD disc reading error - Please contact your dealer"
So far I have not found the solution. Maybe you have resolved it ??!!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast

Fortunately or unfortunately, the problem occurs very infrequently, making debugging difficult. The error msg pops up every two months or so, and eject / reinsertion of the dvd resolves the issue for another two months.

Let us know if you track this one down!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast

Fortunately or unfortunately, the problem occurs very infrequently, making debugging difficult. The error msg pops up every two months or so, and eject / reinsertion of the dvd resolves the issue for another two months.

Let us know if you track this one down!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast

Checked out this link:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-051.PDF
Curious as to dealers response to this service bulletin.
Have the dealers replaced the Navi unit because of a scratched DVD like this service bulletin says???
Any luck with this one??

Quick Reply: 05 HAH Navi DVD error

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands