HAH has higher combined mileage than anything GM makes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HAH has higher combined mileage than anything GM makes?

Does anyone know if GM has a vehicle with better than the combined 31mpg of the (100% Toyota) Pontiac Vibe? It was the only automobile they had earlier this year (going by the top 19 they showcased in an ad) that got over 30mpg combined. If it still is their best, that makes the Accord Hybrid more efficient than anything they sell us (EPA ratings-wise anyway).

I've seen the AH singled out for using the hybrid system for power instead of fuel economy, yet it's rated better than everything the world's largest auto maker offers us? I thought this was an interesting way of looking at it. Has anyone seen this mentioned?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HAH has higher combined mileage than anything GM makes?

Not for sale in the US, of course... but they do make a small, somewhat efficient (by GM standards) car for the enlightened international market.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...tizspark_.html

Old 08-20-2005, 07:57 AM

This prompted me to look at the EPA's site quickly...
A non-rigorous quick look showed that the AH gets better combined mpg than ANY 2005 US car. The closest I saw on the list was the Dodge Neon, at 32.5 combined.

I would've thought that the Focus or Aveo/Cavalier/Sunfire would equal or beat it.
Nope.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 AM

Romir, this is an interesting vantage point, but ..

It does not make HAH look good; it only highlights how awful GM is.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 AM

...but it does make a pretty strong argument for those who want their cake (bigger cars w/ power and bells/whistles) and eat it too (efficiency, or at least less inefficiency). The car that in many ways has defined the modern "family sedan" has better numbers than even the puniest US vehicle. Not that they need more shame, but shame on Detroit.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

GM does have a car, the four cylinder 2005 Malibu new body style that will get in high 30s on the road if driven somewhat conservatively. It is a nice car too and you can get them cheap, especially used. Also with the current sale they are cheap. The v6 is not good on gas however. Some come with mileage meter to check your stats. I have driven several of them along with Hondas doing dealer transfers.

Old 08-20-2005, 01:48 PM

Hi Romir:

___Nice post and I too had never thought of the AH in that light. I am still not a believer in its goals but being at the top in the FE department amongst EVERY domestic out there is pretty amazing! This will give the AH owners some more ammunition to fight off the naysayers in any debate.

___I thought the following would be of interest to some:

Caddy CTS (small V6) at $29,990 with the GM employee discount vs. the AH at $27,450 …

Size: 102.7 cu. ft. vs. 99 cu. ft. … AH wins.
FE: 29/37 vs. 18/27 … AH wins.
Performance: 0-60 in 6.5 vs. 7.1 … AH wins.
Interior appearance: AH wins.
Cost: Deal pricing of $27,450 vs. $29,990 (CTS w/ Auto) … AH wins.
Resale: AH wins.
Lux amenities: CTS had to win at something

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
GM does have a car, the four cylinder 2005 Malibu new body style that will get in high 30s on the road if driven somewhat conservatively. It is a nice car too and you can get them cheap, especially used. Also with the current sale they are cheap. The v6 is not good on gas however. Some come with mileage meter to check your stats. I have driven several of them along with Hondas doing dealer transfers.
nope. EPA is 24/35 for that. HAH still wins.

Almost any 4-cylinder car can probably get high-30s at a minimum when driven the right way- heck, Xcel gets his truck up there!

Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 PM

I thought I heard a mention of GM making the Silverado in a hybrid? I believe it was only getting 25 mpg average. Still, better than the gas powered versions.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Hi Bar10dah:

___GM does make the Chevrolet Silverado/GM Sierra Hybrid’s w/ EPA’s of 18/21 vs. 16/20 of their non-hybrid counterparts … Pretty sad actually

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: HAH has higher combined mileage than anything GM makes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands