How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

I got a book of coupons with the HCH 05 for maintenance at the dealer and had the first oil change for $9.95, then recently got a 10k tune up which included an oil change, all fluids checked and refilled, brake inspections, filters checked, a car wash, plus other little stuff for $110, which apparently 'validates' my next coupon so the 15k oil change will be $12.95. It is apparently $52 without a coupon for an oil change for a hybrid at my dealership.

I have no particular info to gauge whether it was a good deal or a lousy one, (though I may after more people post to this thread) but at least they were all friendly. The guy told me that they couldn't believe the lack of wear on my brake pads. "Do you use your brakes?' he asked me. I guess the whole hypermiling thing is very gentle on brake pads- no suprise there.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
I got a book of coupons with the HCH 05 for maintenance at the dealer and had the first oil change for $9.95, then recently got a 10k tune up which included an oil change, all fluids checked and refilled, brake inspections, filters checked, a car wash, plus other little stuff for $110, which apparently 'validates' my next coupon so the 15k oil change will be $12.95. It is apparently $52 without a coupon for an oil change for a hybrid at my dealership.
When it comes to coupons El Cerrito Honda is a beast of a different kind as well. I presented a coupon for a $27.95 oil change + filter. The service rep pointed out the fine print that says "Most models, some models additional", and basically told me to take a hike with my coupon.

When it was all done the service rep came to me and said that in a few weeks I'll get a survey about my experince from Honda corporate. So he wanted me to remember that he only provides the service, he doesn't set the prices. I smiled politely. I can't wait to tell Honda what a shitty dealership they have.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Okay, I just received a phone call from the Pacific Honda in San Diego. I received my VIN# and should be picking it up on the 22-25th of June (this month). I'll actually have to purchase it in the next few days (about 10 days early) because my loan for 5% through my CU has once been extended 10 days and interest will increase to about 6.4% if I request financing today. I'd rather keep the low APR (for $10k financing only, the rest I put down). The dealer still insists I'll be paying the original $26k out-the-door as previously agreed. As long as that's the case, I'll do business with them.

Mag Pearl w/NAVI
Wheel Locks
Splash Gaurds
All weather floor mats
Auto dimming mirror

+ $85 Interior illumination (I like blue lights inside)
+ $850 for a sun roof

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Shawnb I would definately like to see pics of your car with the sunroof put in and also shots of the interior with the lights.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

Can you have the oil changed at a jiffy lube or midas or do we have to go to a dealer

Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by boneyt98
Can you have the oil changed at a jiffy lube or midas or do we have to go to a dealer
This question comes up a lot here. You are not required by the warranty to have your car serviced by Honda, only to have it serviced properly. If you take it elsewhere, keep your records. If you do it yourself, keep your receipts and note when you did what.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't feel like doing it myself, but I don't want to take it to the dealer anymore. Anyone know of any good chains (other than Jiffy Lube) that do a decent job ????

Old 07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Beware of the quicky places.. they all often don't provide top notch service, though i'm sure there are a few out there. My local shop constantly broke splash shield fasteners on my Subaru. They wouldn't tell me it was busted.. i'd discover there was a problem a little later when I'd find the shield dragging on the road or flapping against my tires. I have some good damage to my splash shield because of it.

Quicky places often employ the least experienced auto workers. Sure they may go through some training and know how to change oil.. but they deal with many different types of cars. Such places are also engineered to get you to buy service that you may not need. They make massive profit by overcharging on air filters, fuel filters, wiper blades, and love to perform unecessary coolant changes.

Also be -positive- that they are using OW20 oil. They may not even carry it. You may need to show up with the oil and filter in hand and have them change it. They'll discount the price slightly, but not that much.

The benefit of the quicky place is convenience. Quick to get to. Quick for an oil change.

My suggestion.. give your local quicky place a shot a few times. Pay careful attention to what they do and ask questions. Periodic service (its also cheaper) from a quicky place won't match the more expensive service from a dealership. The dealership will perform better periodic inspections.

Me? I plan to go to the dealership for periodic key checkups, not for every single one. Plain old oil changes either I'll do.. have my local mechanic perform.. or if i'm desperate ...at the quicky place with a hawk eye on them.

Tell them if they break your fasterners, they are buying them.

Last edited by GaryW; 07-13-2006 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Since we're on the subject of oil changes... I just enquired at the dealership where I purchased my 2006 HCH how much would the regular oil change cost. They stated it would cost $58 CND (roughly $47 US). The extra cost accounts for the 0W20 oil and the effort/care related to handling the underside shields.

On another note, I had traded in a 1990 Civic LX when I purchased my HCH. This 1990 had all its oil changes made at Honda dealerships since day one. As a result, they acknowledged that at trade in time (through their records) and I got almost $1500 more on it than I would get at a regular user car lot (which typically depend on its blue book value).

Over the last 16 years I failed to see the advantage of doing it myself or taking the vehicle to a quicky lube shop. As for my new HCH, I will definitely continue making all my oil changes at the dealership.

Regards;

MS

Last edited by msantos; 07-13-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just had the 15% get oil change alert...called the dealer, they said cost would be $110. I asked "just for the oil change (29 dollars) and tire rotation?" They said no that price for the service appointment that includes those. They claim what the book says and what it needs are two different things (ha ha, sounded rehearsed) What exactly should I ask for-- just the oil change, tire rotation, and check fluids and belts? How have you all worded it when you went to the dealer to get the basics? (I am not handy, I don't want anything missed, but don't want to overpay).

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands