First real-world mileage tests

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: First real-world mileage tests

That's good info, because SD-LA-SD is my regular commuter route. I did that 2-3X a week for two years in my Insight, getting 65-85 MPG. <sigh>

You must have had some time to notice how fuel economy is affected by higher speed, so tell us what you know about 70-85 MPH.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
Default Re: First real-world mileage tests

I can't yet give a hard-and-fast rule on what mileage the car gets at X speed, but it definitely made only a small difference going 85 mph instead of 80 mph. There was a difference, perhaps around 2-3 mpg, it's hard to say. I spent most of the time going 80-82.

Mileage was never less than 20 mpg on the uphills and it was at 30 mpg on most of them, and of course at 50+ mpg on the downhills regardless of speed.

My mileage was slightly worse than the HCH on that segment, though it's possible it'll improve even more as the car breaks in... but possibly not. The HCH gets 40-42 mpg on the route, though it might have underestimated slightly. But its gas pedal was far more sensitive than the Camry's; if you press the Camry gas pedal more than you need to, the mileage lowers but your speed increases. So if your speed is constant, you know you're usually getting the best mileage you can, at least on the highway. With the HCH, on the other hand, often your foot might be too far down even though your speed isn't changing, and you can release the pressure to greatly increase mileage and your speed isn't affected, which was really annoying. So I had to often experiment with different foot pressures to find the one that got the best mileage while being just enough pressure to maintain speed.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Steve -
When you changed the air pressure in your tires, what tires were you using and what is the recommended pressures, etc.?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: First real-world mileage tests

My car came with the Bridgestone Turanzas.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:48 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

On a tank fill up(2nd) I went 341 miles on 9.7 gals for 35.2 MPG in an approximate mix of highway(70%)/city(10%)/suburban(20%). No attempts at getting best mileage possible and tires inflated at factory spec 32 PSI. Highway driving was on cruise control at 70 MPH with air conditioning on in non-ECO mode whole time. The MPG was in line with what I expected when I bought the car. My old car got 22 MPG on premium and now I get 35 MPG on regular, so I'm happy.

P.S.> the computer estimated I was getting 36.3 on this tank of gas, so it overestimated a bit. Of course, every fill up isn't the same. Some times the gas jockey(this is NJ so they run the pumps, not you) puts in almost another 1/4 to 1/3 of a gal to make the price come out even. So the computer may not be off as much as it seems.

Last edited by TKCamry; 05-29-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Jason has said the mileage database is now open for entries and after a few entries are made, it should show up on the main mileage database page. I created a car and entered a tank fill up record.

For now, choose year 2006 since the DB at the time of this post still isn't allowing 2007 model year.

Link to my cars mileage info:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/2862.html

Jason's announcement on Camry option now being available:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...data.7643.html

Last edited by TKCamry; 05-31-2006 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Add Jason's Database for Camry announcement
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
WVGasGuy

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/2875.html

Here's the link to my car's milage info by tank. Comments are viewable by putting your mouse over the "more" link.

I'm over 2500 miles (all pleasure driving)

Also the links will now let you enter the 2007 year for your TCH

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 06-02-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

I wouldnt be at all surprised if Honda limited it's hybrids to the smaller vehicles like the Fit and Civic where IMA is very competitive. It can't intrude on Toyota's patents and it certainly won't go the Nissan route and join Toyota by licensing HSD technology.

However there is a hint of Honda's direction already. Diesel.

With the announcement already of a diesel Odyssey V6 in MY 2008 I wouldn't be at all surprised to see diesel Accord options in both the 4c and V6 engines. There's no new revolutionary technology to be introduced, it already exists. Once ULSD is mandatory here and all states allow diesel sales -BLAM - Honda and Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Ford, GM, VW are all in the market with them

Old 06-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Electricity Guzzler

no Turanzas on Canadian TCHs (I got the A package). We've got nice Michelins and I was surprised that ours were ZP tires. (Zero Pressure) . If you get a puncture and lose all air pressure you can drive them at speeds up to 90 km/ hr for 80 km to get to a dealer for repairs / replacement. I had no idea these tires were coming with my TCH. I shudder at the replacement cost though.