Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Guys,

According to what I am reading at this TOYOTA site...

"Please note that the Prius, and all hybrids for that matter, already have a version of the override system."
That matches my experience -- I experienced the floor mat accelerator entrapment in my Prius years ago, and when I hit the brakes it stopped just fine (as I recall the engine didn't continue to rev, it went to idle...but it was so long ago -- 3 or 4 years -- that I can't remember for sure). No extra effort needed.

After stopping I looked down and saw that the plastic floormat protector -- not the floormat itself -- had crept up and trapped the accelerator pedal. The actual floormat of course was anchored in place with hooks, and hadn't moved. What I did was drill two holes in the plastic cover and hooked it onto those same hooks, and that seems to have solved the problem for me.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Originally Posted by rmoore
That matches my experience -- I experienced the floor mat accelerator entrapment in my Prius years ago, and when I hit the brakes it stopped just fine (as I recall the engine didn't continue to rev, it went to idle...but it was so long ago -- 3 or 4 years -- that I can't remember for sure). No extra effort needed.

After stopping I looked down and saw that the plastic floormat protector -- not the floormat itself -- had crept up and trapped the accelerator pedal. The actual floormat of course was anchored in place with hooks, and hadn't moved. What I did was drill two holes in the plastic cover and hooked it onto those same hooks, and that seems to have solved the problem for me.
Richard,

Thanks for posting here. It seems that the Camry hybrid forum is a lot mor active these days on these issues than is the Prius forum.

You will see from my posts here that my experience was similar to yours (and it seems that we had thew same type of clear mats, and I also dirlled the clear mat, but I also replased the prongs with bolts and bolted the whole assembly down) EXCEPT that in my first event stopping was very, very, difficult, because the engine did not return to idle. It continued to race harder and harder the more I pressed the brake pedal. Perhaps my mat was wedged further in between the pedals than was yours.

I am left with the opinion that while these hybrid systems may indeed, as Toyota claims, have an inherent brake throttle override, the function is not adequate to prevent UA in some situations.

My own little tests of it indicate that it may not work well if thew accelerator pedal is substantially pressed AFTER and WHILE the brake pedal is pressed, and it appears that this is what the mat did in my event.