TCH original oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH original oil

Sure it does. It starts from the motor/generator using the 268 volt traction battery. I know what you mean, it don't have a conventional starter like a gas powered vehicle.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
Sure it does. It starts from the motor/generator using the 268 volt traction battery. I know what you mean, it don't have a conventional starter like a gas powered vehicle.
Correct, just keeping you on your toes.

However, I doubt the high voltage motor/generator will be able to tell the difference between 0w20 synthetic and 5w20 "dino" oil. The whole synthetic vs. dino oil debate boils down to personal choice.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

I am happy with the FE with the original oil from the factory. I am getting 40-41 mpg.
My 5000 mile oil change is up soon and I will put in the same type of oil.
I can get 5w20 dino oil on sale with rebate at Kragen for $0.99/qt. Synthetic costs 4X more.
I just want to know what is it from the factory. I got answers for both types and confused.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bedrock8x
I just want to know what is it from the factory. I got answers for both types and confused.
I also would very much like to know the straight answer to this question.

Does anyone know the facts AND how and where they are documented ?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM

No doubt its the 5W-20 dino oil from the factory. With dino the engine is usually broke in at 5000 miles. If the car came with synthetic it would not break in till 8000 miles or more.

Those cars that do come with synthetic I read they are pre-broke in at the factory.

If you want some positive information call your local dealer and ask for the Shop Foreman. He should know about the factory oil the car comes with.

Motorcraft has a 5W-20 synthetic blend oil. It's $2 something per quart at Walmart. It's also cheaper in the 5 quart container.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
I also would very much like to know the straight answer to this question.

Does anyone know the facts AND how and where they are documented ?
I e-mailed Toyota on Friday but they did not get back to me. Oh well.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 11-17-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Is the original oil came from factory is synthetic or dino oil and is it 0w20 or 5w20?
[EDIT 01/18/2009] The following was later determined to be incorrect and the correct factory oil is 0w-20. See page five for the official followup.

The final answer:

Subject
Factory oil for 2007 - 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Discussion Thread
Response (LSqu) 11/17/2008 07:10 AM

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. The 2007-2009 Camry Hybrids come from the factory with 5W-20, Energy Conserving II multi-grade engine oil or ILSAC (International Standardization and Approval Committee) multi-grade engine oil. In colder climates, dealers may recommend 0W-20 grade oil, as oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather. In our high mileage tests with preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200811140122. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

L. S.
Toyota Customer Experience

Customer (Michael F.) 11/13/2008 11:43 PM

Hello,
What type of oil (5w20 or 0w20) does the 2007 - 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid come with from the factory? That is, if a new vehicle is built, what type of oil used?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-18-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Incorrect information was posted; correcting.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you mikieboyblue. This is the answer I am looking for.

I will refill with 5W20 dino oil.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Thank you mikieboyblue. This is the answer I am looking for.

I will refill with 5W20 dino oil.
You're welcome.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
The final answer:
Thank you very much, Mike.

I recently had my first oil change on the 09TCH at 6 months and 1600 miles. (So, I'm changing oil on the calendar rather than by the odometer.) I got the (semi-synthetic) bulk oil. The other choice was a full synthetic at over $7.00 a qt. Quite aside from the price, I figured:

1. The car is not "broken in" yet; so the synthetic might not be the best choice for this oil change and possibly even the next.
2. I will drive so few miles between changes that I might ever not get any real benefit from the synthetics.

<<All comments on this thinking are welcome>>

Today I spoke to my dealer's service dept. They said that their bulk oil is 5W30 Valvoline semi-synthetic. I noted that my 09TCH manual's call for 0W20 or 5W20 and asked if this was something I needed to be concerned about. They said they'd get back to me.

I am in Houston, Texas. It rarely ever freezes here; most of the year is pretty hot and the summers get unbearably hot. In the late 70's, when the multi-weight motor oils were new, we had lots of engine problems that were attributed to the multi-weight oils not really being worth their high temperature ratings. (I developed some really noisy valves.) Some local dealers recommended using straight 30 weight year round. Mine did. I switched to straight 30 weight year round for several years and never had any more problems. Eventually I migrated back to 10W40 when the lore had it that the multi weight oils were better.

Does anyone think I need to change out my new 5W30 for a 0W20 or 5W20 right now ?

Does anyone think that after the 5000 mile mark the 5W30 could possibly be the right answer for this climate ?

If not, does anyone think that the 5W20 would be better than the 0W20 for this climate ?

If not, does anyone think that the 0W20 would really result in a little lower fuel consumption ?

Does anyone think that a full synthetic would be of any value to me ---- in this climate and especially considering that I will probably be doing oil changes by the calendar on intervals of 2000 mi or less ?

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 11-17-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: TCH original oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands