Mixing CVT fluids

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mixing CVT fluids

Does anyone know if mixing the Honda CVT fluid with Valvoline CVT fluid would be of any concern?

I was doing some routine maintenance today, and I only had 1 quart of the genuine Honda CVT on hand. I decided to mix it with 2 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid from the shop at the end of my street as didn't feel like driving 20 miles to the Honda dealership.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mixing CVT fluids

Drain and refill with Honda CVT. Every account I've found of anyone using non-Honda CVT fluid has been negative.

In fact, I would recommend a flush to get as much Valvoline out as you can... that means 3X changes with Honda CVT fluid.

I read a Honda published whitepaper on why the developed the formulation they did over the previous fluid they used in the HCH1 CVT. It included detailed testing of multiple parameters, and it outperformed in every measure. I seriously doubt Valvoline improved on that.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

Good evening S Keith, thank you for sharing your insights and recommendations. I always appreciate a thorough response! I will drive the car for a few days to see if I notice any abnormal behaviors and then consider changing. I will follow up and confirm if I do decide to change.

Has anyone else used Valvoline CVT and or any other non-Honda branded fluids in their vehicles?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Sorry you're not getting the answer you want.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/s...archid=1166173

You can search other forums for this information. I can't recall a single instance where non-Honda CVT fluid was used without issue. I'm not a Honda fan boi. I'm not willing to trust that a multi-use application across different manufacturers offers the same performance of a Honda CVT, which have been somewhat temperamental and expensive to replace. I like to think of CVTs as ticking time bombs when deciding on maintenance practices.

Furthermore,

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...ously-variable

Lists multiple manufacturers/applications.

http://www.hi-tecoils.com.au/wp-cont...678-Feb-14.pdf

Indicates that their version of the Honda CVT fluid is NOT suitable for use in other vehicles.

A manufacturer benefits from greater application and has a financial motivation to do so. Valvoline claims many applications to maximize sales and market penetration.

Indicating that your product is ONLY applicable to one application suggests that the technical requirements of the fluid supersede the financial motivation to penetrate other markets.

I've owned two HCH2 and I still own two G1 Insight CVT. You will never, ever find me putting anything but Honda CVT fluid in it because the last thing I want to deal with is a failed CVT that costs $2000+ to replace with a salvage unit, and is something I don't want to do myself.

Again, I recommend 3X consecutive changes with Honda CVT fluid.

Last edited by S Keith; 08-03-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Sorry you're not getting the answer you want.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/s...archid=1166173

You can search other forums for this information. I can't recall a single instance where non-Honda CVT fluid was used without issue. I'm not a Honda fan boi. I'm not willing to trust that a multi-use application across different manufacturers offers the same performance of a Honda CVT, which have been somewhat temperamental and expensive to replace. I like to think of CVTs as ticking time bombs when deciding on maintenance practices.

Furthermore,

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...ously-variable

Lists multiple manufacturers/applications.

http://www.hi-tecoils.com.au/wp-cont...678-Feb-14.pdf

Indicates that their version of the Honda CVT fluid is NOT suitable for use in other vehicles.

A manufacturer benefits from greater application and has a financial motivation to do so. Valvoline claims many applications to maximize sales and market penetration.

Indicating that your product is ONLY applicable to one application suggests that the technical requirements of the fluid supersede the financial motivation to penetrate other markets.

I've owned two HCH2 and I still own two G1 Insight CVT. You will never, ever find me putting anything but Honda CVT fluid in it because the last thing I want to deal with is a failed CVT that costs $2000+ to replace with a salvage unit, and is something I don't want to do myself.

Again, I recommend 3X consecutive changes with Honda CVT fluid.
Thank you S Keith, no need to apologize. I did not come here seeking expectations as this is just a forum. I am just trying to facilitate a discussion. I do appreciate the suggestions, but I do not appreciate the tone.

According to Valvolines site: Recommended for use in the following CVT applications: Audi and VW (TL 52180; G 052 180), Ford (CVT30/Mercon C), Subaru (Lineartronic CVTF), Honda (HMMF), Nissan (NS-2), Mitsubishi (CVTF-J1/SP-III), BMW Mini Cooper (EZL 799), Hyundai and Kia (SP-III), Suzuki (TC/NS-2/CVT Green1), Dodge, Jeep (NS-2/CVTF+4), GM Saturn (DEX-CVT), Ford (CVT23), Mercedes Benz (236.20).

Speaking of manufacture benefits, Honda has just as much of special interest in pushing their agenda i.e. proprietary products and marketing them as the only ones suitable for their vehicles. Honda claims its the preferred option of course so they can convince consumers and continue to rake in what money they can. Financial motive.

I guess simply “indicating” is enough to convince the masses.

I’m sure Honda is thankful for your commitment. I personally would have been filled with regret had I had to pay out of pocket to replace the hybrid battery.

I’m not sure why you are under the impression that Valvolines CVT fluid will cause a Honda CVT to fail...

The car has been driving consistently the same before and after the change with Valvolines CVT fluid. No shuttering upon rapid acceleration.

I agree OEM is always the best and should be preferred given the option.

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/cvt_fluid.pdf

Last edited by hman; 08-04-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 PM

You're late to the discussion. It's been asked and answered on this forum and others for at least a few years. You just want to be lazy and have it fed to you.

Again, a little research on your part should encounter multiple accounts of aftermarket CVT fluid either causing problems or reverting to Honda CVT fluid fixing problems.

Again, Honda developed this fluid specifically for their CVT because their use of their ATF fluid in the HCH1 CVT caused a LOT of problems.

If you bothered to read the data sheet from hi-tec, they talk about the different types of CVTs and their different requirements. Valvoline tries to cover them all. Some use chains, some use belts. Thus your "point" about "should be comprised of the same mechanics/principles" is not supported.

In many cases, ATF from different manufacturers is NOT compatible - even though automatic transmissions are basically the same, right? Wrong. That has been the case for decades.

Valvoline isn't even cheaper than the Honda fluid.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
You're late to the discussion. It's been asked and answered on this forum and others for at least a few years. You just want to be lazy and have it fed to you.

Again, a little research on your part should encounter multiple accounts of aftermarket CVT fluid either causing problems or reverting to Honda CVT fluid fixing problems.

Again, Honda developed this fluid specifically for their CVT because their use of their ATF fluid in the HCH1 CVT caused a LOT of problems.

If you bothered to read the data sheet from hi-tec, they talk about the different types of CVTs and their different requirements. Valvoline tries to cover them all. Some use chains, some use belts. Thus your "point" about "should be comprised of the same mechanics/principles" is not supported.

In many cases, ATF from different manufacturers is NOT compatible - even though automatic transmissions are basically the same, right? Wrong. That has been the case for decades.

Valvoline isn't even cheaper than the Honda fluid.
This is really becoming laughable now. Get in control of your emotions and have some respect for your fellow community members. From what I can gather you are unhappy/miserable person.

How can I be late to a discussion that I am facilitating. If this was previously mentioned in other forums please do share links/evidence. Where are these links/accounts you speak of? If I want to create a thread to discuss further I can and will. I did do my research before coming to this forum, but I think I will avoid thegreenhybrid forum going forward.

Me lazy?! haha give me a break buddy.

Please come down of that high horse kid. It’s no surprise these forums do not get more action with people like you. Keep patting yourself on the back for being a twit towards others.

Of course Honda "developed" the fluid specifically for their vehicles. Why would they develop it or market it for any others? lol

No one is talking about ATF fluid, but as you were continuing claiming to know it all.

#Winner

Last edited by hman; 08-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

The intention of this thread was to come to the community to ask others their personal experience with mixing CVT and or using other non-Honda branded fluids.

I wasn't looking to be bossed around by some person who acts like a know it all and bashes/belittles their fellow community members when their recommendations aren't followed through with. If you want to actually do something positive for this forum/community, I recommend you try being a little more self-critical and kinder to the others who actually take the time to engage.

Valvolines site clearly says it's compatible with Honda CVT.

Has anyone else used Valvoline CVT and or any other non-Honda branded fluids in their vehicles?

Last edited by hman; 08-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:48 PM

You weren't facilitating. You were being lazy. Rather than simply search this forum, you feel it needs to be "discussed" for your benefit.

BTW... I called it with "lazy":

First search result (from 4 years ago - see why I said "late to the discussion"?):

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...t-fluid-29140/

LOL... "bossed around"? Really? That kinda sounds like, "you can't tell me what to do!" accompanied by stomp and a pout...

I think you identified the wrong "kid" that needs to get their emotions in check. My most intense emotion in this exchange has been slight annoyance at what I can only guess is a sense of entitlement.

It's very clear that you're not even bothering to read what I post because your responses indicate complete ignorance either due to failure to read or just plain failure to comprehend.

You have your answer. It's not the one you want. You made a bad and lazy choice, and you want somebody to tell you it's okay. It wasn't.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

replace it.. asap

Quick Reply: Mixing CVT fluids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands