Aftermarket GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket GPS

I am toying with getting an aftermarket GPS device.
I see the price ranges from $150 all the way up to $700, or more.
I know that the high end ones have more bells and whistles, but in terms of the basics as to what they do (display directions and tell you to make turns) is there much of a difference?
I don't think I'd need the frills, etc.
So, what I'm asking is...if I want a basic GPS device, is there any reason to not shop based upon price?
Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Aftermarket GPS

I bought the Germin 200w. It's $170. now. It doesn't speak the street names but displays them. The display on all Germins are the easiest and most readable of all the GPS. The route on the display is high-lighted in white making it easier to see where you are heading. It is very easy to program. The TOH already has bluetooth built-in. Buy by price, don't pay for extras you don't need.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS

I have only two points of reference, my Garmin GPS and the GPS built into my parent's Subaru Outback. The Subaru unit is very difficult to operate, and my Garmin is very easy to operate.

I have actually had two Garmins now. Both easy to use and reliable.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

As in anything else you get what you pay for.... Also much like PC's if you can buy it it is already obsolete...

There are a lot of GPS forums that are good sources to check out. For a good starting point GPS buyers guide and help selecting what you need check out:

http://www.tigergps.com/
http://www.thegpsstore.com/

The things I consider important are:

1. Screen size and readability.
2. Verbal Announcement capability.
3. Quick Re-Route calculation
4. Availability of Map Updates and their cost!

I personally use and recommend Magellan. ( http://www.magellangps.com/ ) Magellan has a partnership with AAA and integrates the AAA Trip Book which is very handy, and you get a second year of warranty if you're a AAA member.

I just picked up a new Maestro 4250 which has all the "bells and whistles" including live traffic updates, which I received free for the first year. The 4250 was the top line Magellan until a new generation, the 4350, was introduced early this year. Now it is being heavily discounted and includes free live traffic for one year... The $299 new at Tiger is a pretty good price for it...or $279 refurbished with a $30 rebate. e-Bay is also a good source...

Good luck in your search...

Last edited by RedLdr1; 07-14-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Corrected URL
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

i have toyed with a friends DASH gps and it was pretty nice. they are not cheap but have some cool features.

Last edited by test54; 07-14-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

I love my Garmin Nuvi 350 (there are new models now). It speaks the turns which I find very helpful as you can't always be looking at the GPS screen as turns approach.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

I've got a garmin c330 streetpilot. Mine says 'turn left 500ft' instead of 'left on elm st.' Go to Garmin.com and compare gps and look at the options available to narrow yours down so you dont pay for what you won't use (ie. bluetooth,mp3,xm, waterproof etc.) after that, go to amazon.com and buy it. I can use the suction mount to put in my car or the wifes car. Also, you can modify route as you drive and can buy newer maps online. free software and map upgrades are often available on the website. I am hoping it will fit in the cubby where the AUX jack is.

BTW...since I have not taken delivery yet, anyone have the interior dimensions of the cubby under the radio where the aux jack is? I assume it is the same on the non-NAV version as the NAV version?

Last edited by mfsandli; 07-14-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 AM
old fart

check out getfeetwet.com.I have purchased my last 2 garmins from them,the later being a 760 and you cant beat the price ,and on some you get a second yr warranty free.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duanerw
check out getfeetwet.com.I have purchased my last 2 garmins from them,the later being a 760 and you cant beat the price ,and on some you get a second yr warranty free.
Garmin c330 streetpilot
amazon.com $129.67 new free shipping
getfeetwet.com $205.40 refurb + shipping

Garmin nuvi 350
amazon.com $ 199.99 new free shipping
getfeetwet.com $ 327.97 refurb + shipping

Last edited by mfsandli; 07-14-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Nuvi 660 for my car and I love it. It speaks the street names and has blue tooth and all the bells and whistles. If I were in the market today, I would get a Nuvi 255 either the standard screen or the widescreen which is the 255w.

They have the newest technology in terms of faster CPU and better acquisition times. I was looking at the 255w for a little bit since I no longer need bluetooth or MP3 playback. There is a great forum on all of the different models at www.gpspassion.com.

I will say that you cannot go wrong with Garmin.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands