I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I want to modify the Escape Hybrid

That's not a whole lot of details. What's it cost? Did anyone besides a cell manufacturer build one? And this is just a BMS so you have to add the battery on top.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would be interested in this for the future under three conditions:

1) It's a true "complete conversion" with a warranty
2) It has a battery pack that's a known quantity and can be supported.
3) The cost isn't somewhere between the Moon and Mars.

I like my '10, it's running well, but I know it won't last forever. On the other hand, I could get 200,000 or more miles from it with the right care if the battery keeps going, or I had a good replacement option.

Do they have any cost estimates? There are enough of these vehicles "out there" that I can easily imagine at least 100 initial customers if it was a true "package."

Last edited by AlexK; 06-20-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Also, this is why I've been toying with the idea of establishing an Owner's Association for these vehicles. It's obvious the numbers are there, the viewers to this forum are there, the cars are still on the road in service with fleets and being auctioned all time in decent-to-very good condition.

If we had an Owners Association it would be easier to get word out and achieve "buy in" from interested parties. The only question to me is whether enough people would "join the club." I think these vehicles are worth it. They are **MUCH** easier to maintain for the average person than the later Escapes from 2013-20.

Go out to 4:50 here. Watch as FTM explains how you have to disassemble so much on this car to fix a $5.00 A/C flap. That poor lady only has 30,000 miles on the car and he is pulling it apart like a grenade went off inside it to fix the air conditioner. 10:25: "These Escapes, I'll tell you guys, '13 and newer? Just avoid them. Avoid them, avoid them, avoid them. They're great cars, but they're so hard to work on."

Last edited by AlexK; 06-20-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That sucks because I wanted native lithium. I like the cargo room too so whether I added, say a 2nd shelf of battery in my 09 would depend on the performance which we have no data on. Just buy 10 BMS and come up with your own battery. The enginer kits were 3k new so a used one for under 1000 and 40 mile range would have been decent. Unfortunately there are no used ones.

The Gen2 also has rust issues which kills the prospect of keeping them "forever".

Old 04-13-2022, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bangerla
Elithion had made a custom software version of their BMS to work with the escape hybrid. Last I contacted them, they were willing to sell the BMS with the escape software, but would need a minimum order of 10.

https://www.elithion.com/phev.php
Sorry for being so late to the party, but I’m interested. Got another family member with a Mariner hybrid who is interested, too. Got any sense of cost?

Old 11-03-2022, 08:16 PM
Upgrade EscapeHEV

Originally Posted by AlexK
I would be interested in this for the future under three conditions:

1) It's a true "complete conversion" with a warranty
2) It has a battery pack that's a known quantity and can be supported.
3) The cost isn't somewhere between the Moon and Mars.

I like my '10, it's running well, but I know it won't last forever. On the other hand, I could get 200,000 or more miles from it with the right care if the battery keeps going, or I had a good replacement option.

Do they have any cost estimates? There are enough of these vehicles "out there" that I can easily imagine at least 100 initial customers if it was a true "package."
I am also willing to invest for 2010 HEV & 2011 HEV upgrades and surely would like to know if there is a way to add more batteries for longer distance on EV and cage options for multiple batteries.