Squeaky rear end--'08

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaky rear end--'08

I agree with AllenF, it's a relatively small thing. Annoying, yes (probably most annoying IMO because it has yet to squeak for the dealer...only for me ) but not a major defect that affects the drivability of the car.

These are still relatively new cars and who's to say that a recall or TSB won't happen?

-todd.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

I was looking for the ol thread about this and came across this one.
I have an 07 MMH. Last year I took it to the dealer because of squeaking in the left rear at or below 25 mph. I gave them a TSB for the FEH and a printout of a thread about this issue. Well after 8 hours, all they did was grease up the spring or something and told me that the TSB was invalid for my car.
Guess what the sqeak came back and now it seems louder! I have been thinking about taking another day off of work to go back to the dealer. However, I know they will do the same thing and it will happen again.
What should I do? they looked at me like I was a crazy woman not knowing what I was talking about. I don't want to waste a day off by sitting in a dealership and getting pissed!
Is there a website or something that I can printout a TSB or a number that I can call Mercury? Because the TSB involves FEH, dealers won't even apply it to MMH.

thanks
Cathy

Old 08-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Cathy, take a look at this thread which deals with squeaky rear end noise.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...rear-end-4506/

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

If a dealer does not treat you as you would expect or the results are no improvement for your complaint PLEASE take it to another dealer and tell them why you are there and how the other dealer dropped the ball.

Coming from the Super Duty truck side of things The 6.0L diesel had growing pains early in it's life and the mechanics were overall unqualified which lead to many needing several tries to fix what could have been fixed the first go round. This left some with a bad feeling about an other wise good engine.

Once you find a dealer with a competent mechanic, support him and tell all who will listen where to go for repairs and where NOT to go also. I would also recommend that dealer for all new purchases as well and let them know that they have earned your business and to keep it up. Tell them if their level of expertise should fall you may look elsewhere for sales and service.

These mechanics are squeezed pretty hard in the pay department but the good ones need to be better paid IMO.

Cathy did you try a slow 5-10MPH roll in an empty large parking lot and then with one hand on the wheel and the other on the parking brake release lever fully pulled so as to release it apply the foot parking brake pedal?

Doing this while rolling will seat the parking brake shoes and the squeak should be gone for several months. If it returns just do it again. Ours did it early on and I had to do this 2 times. It has not squeaked since the last Parking brake maneuver. I think it is gone for good. If not I can do it again as it takes just a few seconds to do and the problem is fixed for a long time if not for good and there is no wait at the dealer and a lost day of work.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllenF
Doing this while rolling will seat the parking brake shoes and the squeak should be gone for several months. If it returns just do it again. Ours did it early on and I had to do this 2 times. It has not squeaked since the last Parking brake maneuver. I think it is gone for good. If not I can do it again as it takes just a few seconds to do and the problem is fixed for a long time if not for good and there is no wait at the dealer and a lost day of work.
I had two noises... The brake one I would describe more and a grind and sometimes squeek.... the other one was more of a duck quack squawk or like the sound of bedsprings.... THAT one is suspension related.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AllenF
If a dealer does not treat you as you would expect or the results are no improvement for your complaint PLEASE take it to another dealer and tell them why you are there and how the other dealer dropped the ball.

Coming from the Super Duty truck side of things The 6.0L diesel had growing pains early in it's life and the mechanics were overall unqualified which lead to many needing several tries to fix what could have been fixed the first go round. This left some with a bad feeling about an other wise good engine.

Once you find a dealer with a competent mechanic, support him and tell all who will listen where to go for repairs and where NOT to go also. I would also recommend that dealer for all new purchases as well and let them know that they have earned your business and to keep it up. Tell them if their level of expertise should fall you may look elsewhere for sales and service.

These mechanics are squeezed pretty hard in the pay department but the good ones need to be better paid IMO.

Cathy did you try a slow 5-10MPH roll in an empty large parking lot and then with one hand on the wheel and the other on the parking brake release lever fully pulled so as to release it apply the foot parking brake pedal?

Yes, I did the parking brake thing twice in the past week. So far, I don't hear anything!.
Oh, I will not be going back to THAT dealer for sure! I only went to them because they are close to my house. The next Mercury dealer I go to will be one with a good reputation (sp)

Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

I too had the squeak at slow speeds during turns on my late '07 (Nov) MMH. The dealership replaced the disc brake backing plates. Problem came back after about 5K miles. Found a thread in the Toyota section with a Camry having similar issues and the parking brake trick. About every 6 months when I hear a squeak I slowly brake the vehicle from 20-30 mph to stop with the parking brake. The squeak goes away. The way I am reading this forum, there may be more than one problem with squeaks.

Good Luck Everyone!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cathyth3
Yes, I did the parking brake thing twice in the past week. So far, I don't hear anything!.
Oh, I will not be going back to THAT dealer for sure! I only went to them because they are close to my house. The next Mercury dealer I go to will be one with a good reputation (sp)
Cathy, just so you know you can also take your Mariner to any Ford dealer as well.