Swapped Modules now no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Swapped Modules now no start

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hebel
So, replaced both batteries in that cell that showed low voltage, and it still dips down like the old ones did..... what gives? I'm so frustrated with this thing right now, I honestly dont get this **** thing.
Sensor wire is broken or damage (even if not visible ) or an issue with the hybrid module computers or the voltage sensor such as a bad soldering or faulty comportment in the sensor module

Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jeremy; follow the data! Your data shows reasonable tight groupings of Block voltages before and after your short "maneuvers" drop the usually green Block 14 way down.

Swapping Blocks is still best next step.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Yep. Voltages were tightest and reasonably grouped at charging - presumably at higher currents... where one would expect sensing issues to be even worse. Those are classic failed cell plots. I can't emphatically rule out a sensing issue, but it's completely inconsistent with the data presented.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if another bum module was received. It's pretty shocking how "tested" and "reconditioned" modules are... neither.

It's also shocking how the public is duped by "professionals" touting "new generation" or newer cells... most Toyota modules that have been in vehicles 2010+ are complete and total garbage unless they were pulled from a salvage yard pack before 60K miles. They are usually good enough to get them through the warranty, but you're basically paying a premium for modules that rarely test over 60% of their rated capacity.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

So, i took it all apart, and checked the sense wire for corrsoion or anything of that matter, i thoroughly cleaned the conncetons and double and trippled checked tighteness. I also verified I replaced the correct block. It's not impossibe but i find it highly improbable that the 2nd replacement cells are bad as well, and exhibit that same exact voltage deviation. Also if the voltages drifited that muc, wouldn't that exhibit any other issues? This set of modules is far and beyond better then what I had before, it works in autostop longer and more often then ever. Also my lurching, stalling, chugging issues are now non-exsistant. In the year I owned it, I only once got these codes and they went away and never came back. after rechecking all this work, the codes come back, but they come and go almost daily.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Old 12-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

So update, seems after doing some consistent driving, the "problem" went away. But this weekend a new problem arose. While driving the whole thing shut down, service everything messages on DIC, so I hooked up the scanner, and saw that cell block 20 would dip to 8 volts while driving. Tore into the beast today, found the last module to be at 6.2v, all otheres were 7.9v. Swapped it out, everything seems to be back to normal. Its so much nicer when you have a smoking gun......

Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM

So now you've established that the replacement set of modules had at least two bad ones? How many trips into your pack? 3?

Please post the source as a precaution to others. They clearly don't do any significant testing... just check voltage and ship! Make $500/hr selling lottery tickets.