HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Tires for 2004 Civic Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tires for 2004 Civic Hybrid

Originally Posted by cgaiii
Yes. Of course. I was not thinking of older ones but newer ones. I guy in my little valley in VA completely rebuilt one of them and drives it. I always wanted one of the manual transmission ones. Still about the best mileage on any hybrid.
They're novelties at this point. I have two of the CVT models. Parts can be a real pain to get. Many are no longer available.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast
Location: Small valley in mountains within the Shenandoah Valley
Default Re: Tires for 2004 Civic Hybrid

I said I would report back on the Kinergy tires for my 2004 Civic Hybrid.
They drive quite nicely, hold the road well, feel "softer" than the B381s.
I have noticed a little bit of change in charging discharging behavior since I switched tires. Where the car used to be very quick to start charging with slight deceleration (not coasting) or when going down hill on the highway at say 72 mph, there seems to be need for a greater slope or even coasting before the car starts charging. Same applies to climbing too. The car used to start using the assist with even very slight inclines when on the highway with cruise control. Now it takes a greater slop. The result is less flopping back and forth between charging and discharging the hybrid battery.
Overall mileage has not suffered much. I would say the tires cost me about 0.5 to 1 mile per gallon on average. I am still averaging over 50 mpg, usually around 52 mpg (depending on my driving mix). This is quite acceptable. I am well off the original 54.8 I got for the first few years I had the car, but for 17 year old car, this is pretty good.