HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Installing used AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing used AC compressor

Update: meticulously reassembled everything. Attempted to charge AC, after about 7oz, compressor clutch and fans remain off, unable to charge further, and I'm back where I started with no AC. Unbelievably disappointed.

I also apparently really screwed something up electrically. I have a LOT of codes, car severely shudders on acceleration.P0113, P0102, P0533, P0A7F
May have to head to a dealer for diagnostics. I'm worse off than when I started.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Since reassembly and testing (and subsequent failure), I've managed to address all error codes (air flow, failing hybrid battery, etc.) and all that remains is the original AC compressor issue (whew).

The car is now at a shop and they're working through diagnostics. Thus far they haven't said "you need a new compressor," so that's good. What they have said is ...

"Evacuated system and found 0.36LBS out of 1.00LB, charged system to specifications and found AC clutch engagement was still not present. Checked power and ground and found power not present at compressor, found fuse to have good power, swapped relays and found same issue present. Pulled codes and found multiple codes for thermal protector and P0533 in PCM, following diagnostics tree for P0533 found AC pressure sensor to be above 4.75 volts but when jumping terminals 2&3 that voltage would drop. Next step in diagnostics process is to replace pressure sensor. Possible HVAC control unit problem, need to replace pressure sensor before further diagnostics"

... and charged me $800 for 2 evac/vac/recharges and a new AC pressure sensor. I asked about the AC pressure sensor charge, since it is relatively cheap to purchase and not hard to get to (see attached pic). And he said "it must be a different one, because the book shows 1.4 hours of labor."

I'm not sure what an "HVAC control unit" is or costs, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that!

Old 08-29-2022, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Book quotes are all-inclusive. General prep, diagnostics, replacement, follow-up, confirmation and prep for delivery. They tend to double dip.

Replacing that takes 1.4 hours to diagnose, remove refrigerant, replace part, evac and recharge, test and prep for return to the customer.

You're already getting charged for everything before and after the bolded part, so they're double-dipping. They should be charging you 15 minutes for the replacement.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Book quotes are all-inclusive. General prep, diagnostics, replacement, follow-up, confirmation and prep for delivery. They tend to double dip.

Replacing that takes 1.4 hours to diagnose, remove refrigerant, replace part, evac and recharge, test and prep for return to the customer.

You're already getting charged for everything before and after the bolded part, so they're double-dipping. They should be charging you 15 minutes for the replacement.
Exactly my thoughts. Not to mention the first AC diagnostic process included electrical troubleshooting, connections eval, AND evac, vacuum and recharge… All for $175. The second evac, vacuum, and recharge (after sensor replacement) costs over $200 for some reason. The customer service guy said "hmmm, I'm not sure why." and did nothing.

Your information about sensor labor including time for evac/recharge is very useful. 'I'm going to be polite, but I'm definitely going to be "that guy." We are going to have some carefully worded conversations that they may not like.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

So finally it came - new compressor recommendation with an $1,800 price tag (on top of the $800 for useless diagnostics so far.

The quote:
After replacing AC sensor and verifying proper operation from sensor found AC clutch to still not be engaging, found code B2993, removed AC compressor connector and jumped pins 1&3 and found on scan tool that live data showed AC was responsive, with connector unplugged or plugged into AC compressor found it to show that AC switch was off even when switch was turned to AC on, AC compressor has internal fault with wiring or thermal protector, suggest new AC compressor”

After arguing about the over-charging I said no thank you, paid them $800 for nothing and picked up my car.

Here’s the weird part - it’s been almost a week. I had threatened my kids to just leave the AC off if they ever drive it. I wasn’t sure if any more harm could be done, compressor engage and/or lock up, etc. that would then keep me from being about to drive it at all. But today, my older son drove it and accidentally turned on the AC … and it worked. Fans, clutch, everything. 45 deg air and all.

Not really sure what to do now but enjoy it and pray it continues. Not sure why it didn’t for the shop, but does now for me, but I guess I’ll see how long this lasts.

any ideas? It’s a little cooler today outside, could that have anything to do with it? Though I’m not sure anyone has even tried it before this in the heat. Maybe it would’ve worked then.

I’ll update accordingly after some gentle testing

Old 09-04-2022, 10:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wish I had something for you. Enjoy it.