HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Default Re: Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Originally Posted by S Keith
You could have purchased one for about $140 that's literally 16 times better than the one you purchased, and it would give meaningful data. Testing a stick at 0.7A doesn't tell you anything.

At least you've established that you're fine with having it fail.

When I said your setup is laughable, I truly meant it. Alligator clips are horribly unreliable and can completely defeat NiMH delta V termination and frequently cause false positives meaning you'll never get it fully charged. You have alligator clips on alligator clips.

Since you purchased the SkyRC, you should have received a temp probe. Set temperature cut off at 45°C. Strap the temp probe onto the hottest cell.
okay I’ll try to fix them and hoping to see some result.

Thank you!

Old 09-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hi guys could you please help me as I'm confused now
I have Honda civic 2007 and trying to recycle cells which are in my opinion in not as bad state
each double pack (12cells) holds between 14.8-15.8v (middle ones the least)

Now I can't take them apart to split doubles as I don't have a way to solder them back so have to charge each double pack
I've set initial numbers to
charge @5A
discharge @ 1A
cut off V @ ?
timer to 148min
cut off peak @ 5mV
capacity @ 11000mah

Could you please confirm those values and tell me what should be cut off V as I'm not sure, I believe 1Vxeach cell so 12V would be too low ?
should I then set it to 14,5V ?
Should I adjust any other values ?
Also should I just connect them to ends on plus and minus or any other way ? (I'm using imax b6)

Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Can someone please tell me where to hook up the wires for my bulb discharger?

Old 07-15-2022, 10:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Same place you hooked your grid charger.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hi S. Keith, I would like to say thank you for providing lots of knowledge about the IMA battery. It helped me successfully recondition my bad IMA battery.

Here is the story:

I bought a second-hand honda civic hyrid 2007 last year. After driving for 1.5 years, the IMA light was on. I tried many times of 12V reset but the IMA light came back soon. Then I looked for many possible options and decided to go for the DIY grid charging solution.

I did learn a lot about circuit knowledge before but I forget most of it. I started to learn everything about IMA battery and found the EVF here is the best place for me. I viewed the discussion about IMA publised from 2013 to 2022, and found your ideas are really helpful.

Here are what I did for my IMA battery :
I removed the IMA battery out off the car.
DIY a grid charger, and charged the battery 24 hours to full at 186V.
Used 40w + 60w bulbs in parallel to discharge the battery to 8.5V
Charged it for 24 hours to full at 190V.
Discharged it to 180V, and installed back to the car.

I justed finished it, and drived it for about 60KM. Of course the IMA light was off. The battery is much better than before. It never droped lower than 6 bars, so no recalibration during the driving. I can tell that the charing (when braking/sliding) is far more efficient than before. Today is the first day after the reconditioning. I am very happy with it, but will keep testing in the coming weeks.

Thanks again.
And I also would like to thank EVF, and anyone contributing to EVF.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by galenlau
Hi S. Keith, I would like to say thank you for providing lots of knowledge about the IMA battery. It helped me successfully recondition my bad IMA battery.

Here is the story:

I bought a second-hand honda civic hyrid 2007 last year. After driving for 1.5 years, the IMA light was on. I tried many times of 12V reset but the IMA light came back soon. Then I looked for many possible options and decided to go for the DIY grid charging solution.

I did learn a lot about circuit knowledge before but I forget most of it. I started to learn everything about IMA battery and found the EVF here is the best place for me. I viewed the discussion about IMA publised from 2013 to 2022, and found your ideas are really helpful.

Here are what I did for my IMA battery :
I removed the IMA battery out off the car.
DIY a grid charger, and charged the battery 24 hours to full at 186V.
Used 40w + 60w bulbs in parallel to discharge the battery to 8.5V
Charged it for 24 hours to full at 190V.
Discharged it to 180V, and installed back to the car.

I justed finished it, and drived it for about 60KM. Of course the IMA light was off. The battery is much better than before. It never droped lower than 6 bars, so no recalibration during the driving. I can tell that the charing (when braking/sliding) is far more efficient than before. Today is the first day after the reconditioning. I am very happy with it, but will keep testing in the coming weeks.

Thanks again.
And I also would like to thank EVF, and anyone contributing to EVF.
Glad it's working.

I've been where you are. Hopefully in your case, it holds out. My initial results were spectacular, but about 9 months later, the whole pack went south.

In the future avoid discharges below 66V. They really don't buy you anything, and deep discharges can push a marginal cell into full failure rendering the pack unusable.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

OK! That's a good point! Will not drain it below 66V again. Thanks for the further suggestions.

I will update my result in several months.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by galenlau
OK! That's a good point! Will not drain it below 66V again. Thanks for the further suggestions.

I will update my result in several months.
Once you experience a recalibration, it's time for another grid charge. A discharge is not likely necessary unless it's been awhile.