HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Used my "other" starter yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Used my "other" starter yesterday.

The HCHII was in outdoor, long-term parking for 6 days in snow and temps ranging from 17 to -10 degrees. I have had to jump a bimmer twice in those conditions.

I was feeling a bit more smug than usual when the "starter-starter" cranked my ZenPod right up.

Just another feel-good story.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Used my "other" starter yesterday.

Good to hear I am not the only one... and it is working for you

The starter has been kicking in for me every day when starting the car in the open parkade. However, every morning it does not need to because the garage it sleeps in is much warmer.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Good to know and I have another question here -- a friend of mine with an Insight said his circle of car friends mention issues where the starters are not used for years and years and then when they are required to be used they do not work since they have 3 years of grime and debris in them or are "frozen up" and other myths and stories. Is any of this true for our car? Is the starter more or less sealed from the outside or is it like all other car starters where you can see into the armature and other naughty bits.

So here I sit with an Engine Block Heater and Corpus Christi, TX has more snow and ice and cold temps than I do. No fair. I've still not heard my starter work and won't until I have to park it outside for several days I imagine. Hearing the Insight issue would it be wise to pull a fuse for the IMA and crank over the car once every 6 months to make sure the starter churns or just keep it as is until after the warranty expires?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmmm.... No way would I do that. I would just drive my car like a Honda and trust that it'll start right up every time for 15 years!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Flash
Good to know and I have another question here -- a friend of mine with an Insight said his circle of car friends mention issues where the starters are not used for years and years and then when they are required to be used they do not work since they have 3 years of grime and debris in them or are "frozen up" and other myths and stories. Is any of this true for our car? Is the starter more or less sealed from the outside or is it like all other car starters where you can see into the armature and other naughty bits.
Actually, I never gave that much thought, but I guess there is merit to that particularly if you do not service your vehicle at the dealership that much. I know that the service checklist includes that item as a checkpoint that is why I never really gave it much thought.

Also, I am not too fond of the starter kicking in at all. Sure, it shows that the thing works and that is good, but that also means that if it happens day after day then our mileage is going to hit rock bottom since ICE will be nursing the battery for alot longer.

But that's life;

Off the top of my head, the safest way to test the legacy starter is to turn off the IPU at the switch. For that you need to remove the backseat cushion.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

hahaha, very cool