CNET says EX V6 had BETTER MPG than HCH!!! True??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: CNET says EX V6 had BETTER MPG than HCH!!! True??

I have both a 2005 Accord hybrid (mine) and a 2006 EX-V6 (hers). The hybrid has been getting ~32.8 combined mpg, while the EX-V6 gets ~21 mpg. I am aware that my commute is longer than hers and that we drive differently, but still, that's a big difference. I do not know how a newer Accord hybrid would compare.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Another thing that should be considered but is rarely discussed is that the HAH creates less pollution!! May not be important to you but your grandkids may appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J4MacDonald
I have both a 2005 Accord hybrid (mine) and a 2006 EX-V6 (hers). The hybrid has been getting ~32.8 combined mpg, while the EX-V6 gets ~21 mpg. I am aware that my commute is longer than hers and that we drive differently, but still, that's a big difference. I do not know how a newer Accord hybrid would compare.
I own a 2006 Accord hybrid and a 2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT. My wife and I both drive these cars and we switch cars all the time. I got hybrid in October, so with break-in period and cold temperatures, I have not seen high mpg on it yet. In any case during the same period driven under same temperature conditions (and almost all city driving), my EX-V6 has been averaging about 18 mpg while the hybrid has been averaging 23 mpg. So I am seeing some benfit from hybrid.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

The problem with the review in this case is that the fuel economy for the hybrid and standard EX-V6 were determined from exactly one sample each. Furthermore, there was no indication that traffic, weather and other conditions were identical either.

The conclusion they make grabs headlines, but it's not really valid without also listing all the qualifying factors.

The EPA mileage numbers may not represent the real world in many cases, but at least the test conditions are controlled so that comparisons are valid. CNET's testing is pretty worthless IMHO.