Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

OMG, I've been researching insurance rates on my Civic Hybrid II and am absolutely stunned by how high they are.

I'm particularly interested to see what other Michigan residents are paying in comparison.

Here's my scenario. HCH II, w/ 100/50 coverage. Clean driving record. 29 yr old male in Michigan. Quotes have been ranging between $1675 annually (which is what I currently have) to $2400 / 6 months. My previous carrier had me at $2100 / 6 months and i dropped them recently.

I was paying around $400/month for my Expedition.

Thanks,

BP

Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Originally Posted by BigPanda
OMG, I've been researching insurance rates on my Civic Hybrid II and am absolutely stunned by how high they are.

I'm particularly interested to see what other Michigan residents are paying in comparison.

Here's my scenario. HCH II, w/ 100/50 coverage. Clean driving record. 29 yr old male in Michigan. Quotes have been ranging between $1675 annually (which is what I currently have) to $2400 / 6 months. My previous carrier had me at $2100 / 6 months and i dropped them recently.

Thanks,

BP
In Birmingham, Alabama I am paying $760 a year for my brand new HCH II. Granted that does have some discounts built in but even without the discounts there is no way I would be paying over $1,000

By the way the rates are through Allstate and I have coverage above and beyond the minumums required. Including GAP coverage and the Allstate "Your Choice" Platinum Auto policy.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks,

BP
That is very high. I am not paying anywhere colse to that for mine here in Maryland. That quote of $2400/ 6 mos. is in the range of the 2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula that I had with 310 Horsepower....not including the 75- 100 HP of mods I installed. I have a clean record too, but I know rates can be very different due to location.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

My insurance went from $350/6months (2002 Hyundai XG350) - to $600/6months (HCHII) with Allstate. (full coverage (100/300/100) in No. Cal.

Switched to 21st and am down to $325/6 months.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:15 PM

Have you checked to see what other new cars might cost by comparison? When I had mine quoted before I bought, the difference between an EX and a hybrid was a couple of dollars a month (State Farm).

Old 03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

My HCH II is my third car on my policy although mileage wise it is #1 (15K miles a year quoted) and I pay $250 additionallly every 6 months.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Proud owner HCHII

Very puzzling! One of the deciders for me in buying my HCHII, which CR evaluations do not reflect, was the halving of my insurance. My previous Accord V6 3000cc had twice the BHP and dare I say it I drove it twice as fast (certainly from a stop light). Surely a 1339cc engine driven by a seeker after fuel economy should secure a marked reduction in premiums?

Old 03-31-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Casper49
My insurance went from $350/6months (2002 Hyundai XG350) - to $600/6months (HCHII) with Allstate. (full coverage (100/300/100) in No. Cal.

Switched to 21st and am down to $325/6 months.
A sad story....

Okay, I pay $240/ 6 mo (State Farm), but every state is different, personal profiles and companies are different.

Tonight I had insomnia and since I couldn't sleep I decided to spend some time on GH (I must be a hybrid owner!)

After reading this post, I decided to go to State Farm's web site and see what my rates would be, for my identical situation if I lived in Northern Cal.

I filled out 15 pages of information. I got sleepy doing it. When I finally got to the end and submitted the last page of info, /blink!/ my computer rebooted. Just like that, no orderly shutdown, no "sorry we've got to go now", just bam! white screen and startup. Has never happened to me before (on this machine, anyway).

So I let it reboot, after which internet explorer wouldn't work. Finally I rebooted again. This time during startup it gave me the old "You've had a unexpected restart, do you want to tell Microsoft about it?" So I did and to make a long story even longer it turns out there was an update to my Intel graphics driver that I didn't have. I downloaded the driver (which of course changed all of my screen settings), and I'm back up and running.

You'll excuse me please if I don't try the same exercise again tonight - I'm going back to bed....

Old 03-31-2006, 04:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess it all depends on where you live. I doubt any insurance in Central PA is expensive compared with some higher cost areas, but for reference - my old car was a 2000 Nissan Altima. I paid $240/6 months for it. The Hybrid I pay about $285/6 months. The irritating insurance issue for me was when my wife decided last year that she didn't want her CRV any more (260/6 months) and bought a Saab 9-2X (Subaru impreza based - you'd figure that wouldn't be that bad to insure??). Well it runs $400/6 months.... :-(

Eric

Old 03-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Enthusiastically Active

My wife and I pay around $850/month total for both our 06 HCH and 99 CR-V. My previous Integra GS-R was nearly $700 a month alone.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Insurance Rates Sky High

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands