Heated leather seats stay hot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Heated leather seats stay hot?

Hi to All,

A question for those who have heated leather seats: does your leather seat get and remain hot until you turn the switch off?

I finally got around to trying out this feature. The seat started to heat up but within five minutes, the seat no longer felt hot. I thought the heater turned itself off but the switch was still lit. Turning the switch off/on repeated this cycle as did turning off/on 'eco' mode. Not much info on this feature in the owners manual. Is this the way this feature works, the heater just takes the chill out of the leather seat.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heated leather seats stay hot?

Hi epawelko,

I noticed the same thing. On my previous cars, the audi TT, it had about 7-8 settings for seat heat, and it always stayed warm/hot on that setting. On my acura TL, it behaved the way you are describing. It would get hot and seem to turn off. I always thought there was some sort of thermostat that would keep the heat constant and that my **** just got used to the heat and therefore felt like it was no longer warm.

Bummer that on the TCH there is no high/low setting for the seat warmers, just an on/off. Have you noticed that the drivers seat warms up way quicker than the passenger seat?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the idea is that once the car is warm you don't need heated seats anymore.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have been installing aftermarket as well as OEM seat heaters for years, What happens is that once they reach an optimum heat range they remain there. The reason you feel they shut of is that your bum and the heaters are the same temp and they remain together. These heaters just have a wire element in them and they only acheive such and such a temp and do not continue to get warmer. Most have two settings high and low, obviously the high gets a little warmer a little faster. Tada.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Have you noticed that the drivers seat warms up way quicker than the passenger seat?
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure if my driver seat heated faster. I was just surprised that the whole heat/cool-down cycle happened so quickly. On my hubby's Aurora, the seats get hot and remain hot until we turn the heater off.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clubford00
We have been installing aftermarket as well as OEM seat heaters for years, What happens is that once they reach an optimum heat range they remain there. The reason you feel they shut of is that your bum and the heaters are the same temp and they remain together. These heaters just have a wire element in them and they only acheive such and such a temp and do not continue to get warmer. Most have two settings high and low, obviously the high gets a little warmer a little faster. Tada.
Hi Dean,

Sorry, but the seats heated and then cooled down all within the time span of listening to one song on the radio, I figured between 3-5 minutes. Both hubby and I placed our hands on the drivers seat and while the seat was no longer hot, the chill was taken out of the leather.

We were wondering if this feature was dependend on outside temperature, maybe the colder the temp, the longer the heat cycle? The outdoor temp was 55° yesterday evening.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

I tried the seat heaters again today. The seats became warm quickly but within a few minutes, the heat surge turned off. The seats did remain warm although at a lower constant temperature. After approximately eight minutes, the heat surge turned on again for a minute or two and then returned to low constant warmth. This cycle did repeat itself one more time during this short trip.