Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

CUTE THANKS

Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

I have cloth seats and the driver seat feels like it has less support on the side closest to the armrest. It feels like I am leaning towards the passenger seat even when I am driving straight. I took it to the dealer last night for the first oil change and mentioned the seat and center console squeak.

The service manager said that he noticed the unevenness of the seat and they will replace the seat which costs $4500 (under warranty of course). I'm happy that I did not have to argue with them about the seat. They also ordered a part for the center console to fix the squeak. I think the part they are ordering is part of the vertical flip door below the a/c controls.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hi that is encourging to hear that they are admitting a bad seat design. The squeak is not in the filp door. I just recently fixed mine thanks to this web site. It is the cover that surounds the gear shifter. A couple of felt pads placed in the right place under that cover will do the trick. (see thread on console squeak , I think it was post #63 that detailed the procedure with pictures. (easy fix once you know where it is comming from.) We will be going back to the dealer about the seat. Thanks J.F

Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Well I finally got the seat replaced after 7 visits to the dealership. When I brought the car in to have the seat replaced the service manager said that he did not notice any unevenness with the seat. I explained that the seat seemed to be tilted towards the passenger seat and they ended up sending the seat to a upholstery shop and had extra seat foam placed on the right side of the seat. That made an uneven seat even more uneven. I went back three times and they finally scheduled an appointment with a Toyota factory rep. The rep sat in the back seat and looked at the space between the drivers seat and center console, it was obvious that the seat was at an angle. The rep called a Toyota engineer for advise on what would cause the seat to tilt like this. The engineer thought that the power seat cables might be binding and cause the seat to tilt. So the official recommendation to the dealership was to check and adjust the power seat cables. I told them that even if that fixed the problem they still needed to remove the extra foam they added to the right side of the seat. I left the car at the dealership for a day and and a half and ended up with a brand new seat when I picked up the car. Not sure where the new seat came from so quickly...I'm curious if they removed it from one the new cars on the lot.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:03 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by ebjustin
Well I finally got the seat replaced after 7 visits to the dealership. When I brought the car in to have the seat replaced the service manager said that he did not notice any unevenness with the seat. I explained that the seat seemed to be tilted towards the passenger seat and they ended up sending the seat to a upholstery shop and had extra seat foam placed on the right side of the seat. That made an uneven seat even more uneven. I went back three times and they finally scheduled an appointment with a Toyota factory rep. The rep sat in the back seat and looked at the space between the drivers seat and center console, it was obvious that the seat was at an angle. The rep called a Toyota engineer for advise on what would cause the seat to tilt like this. The engineer thought that the power seat cables might be binding and cause the seat to tilt. So the official recommendation to the dealership was to check and adjust the power seat cables. I told them that even if that fixed the problem they still needed to remove the extra foam they added to the right side of the seat. I left the car at the dealership for a day and and a half and ended up with a brand new seat when I picked up the car. Not sure where the new seat came from so quickly...I'm curious if they removed it from one the new cars on the lot.
I think I would have just bled a little air out of the left side tires to fix the seat tilt.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

My TCH is my 8th Toyota product, and the seat is the largest and most comfortable I've ever experienced in a Toyota. I'm 6'1" and have plenty of legroom, plenty of width, and excellent lumbar support.

I adjusted the seat for what I thought would be the best position when I test drove the vehicle, and have not changed that original seating position. My commute is usually over an hour one way, and the car is a pleasure to drive the whole time. With other vehicles, particularly other than Toyotas, I'd arrive at work with sore knees, hips, ankles, or all three. I actually look forward to long drives in the Camry.

Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I''ve been uncomfortable in my seat too. I've also thought that my driver seat was leaning a little towards the inside. I also thought that the padding is a little off. Looking at the seat it doesn't seem off, but after sitting in it for a while this has been my observation. I imagine I'm going to have a hard time convincing a tech.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. I had previously told the tech about the problem and he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have waited a few months and still have the problem and will try bringing it in again. It feels like you are sitting on a tennis ball.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have cloth and have no leaning stinky seats. I am 6'4 and fine.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

On my first long trip my legs started to ache a little above the knee. I raised the front edge of the seat and I haven't had any problems with the seat since then (6 months and 11k miles). I'm 5'9 and have cloth seats.

Quick Reply: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands