squeaky noise from dashboard area while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: squeaky noise from dashboard area while driving?

Sorry.

Sometimes you can identify the location of the offensive sound and with a little thought eliminate or reduce it. I know people who have forced a little foam insulation or padding between dash and windshield near the sound, to tighten things up at bit. It helped.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

my beef is that the service guy failed to tell me that my vehicle is out of the factory warranty for this open TSB and instead charged me service fee first and later telling me , its out of warranty and if i want to pay an additional $800 to fix it.

this morning, I went to meet the manager of the dealer but he is so pissed off about my review that i wrote on a review site and says, THANK U & HAVE A NICE DAY!

any suggestions here friends?

called toyota corporate, told me they don't deal withsuch service related problems and instead take this case to better bussiness beruae or state attorney general!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>> any suggestions here . . .?

Yeah, don't fight with a car dealer and then expect any favors from them.

In order for the dealer to charge you $100 for the diagnosis they first must have received your OK (as in signature on the work order) for the charge. If they didn't have your OK, you shouldn't have paid them and they owe you a refund.

At this point, I'd try going to another dealer.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jimmy, it sounds like you did yourself in. You did not give the dealer a chance and went off to write a nasty review before meeting with the service manager. If I was in his shoes I'd do the same thing.

The people who work at dealerships have feelings just like you or I and will take offence if they feel hard done by like a bad review. I would first work with the various levels in the dealership, IF that doesn't work then you may have a case for dissing them, but as a negotiating tactic, it is an epic fail.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: squeaky noise from dashboard area while driving?

Originally Posted by BOFH
Jimmy, it sounds like you did yourself in. You did not give the dealer a chance and went off to write a nasty review before meeting with the service manager. If I was in his shoes I'd do the same thing.

The people who work at dealerships have feelings just like you or I and will take offence if they feel hard done by like a bad review. I would first work with the various levels in the dealership, IF that doesn't work then you may have a case for dissing them, but as a negotiating tactic, it is an epic fail.
can't believe that u r taking the side of the ones who ripped me off.

them getting angry for my review and therefore not settling this issue is nonsense.

anyone can write a review if they are treated bad, charged money for no reason or a victim of unfair practice.

You my friend may feel ok for this but not ME cos I have no reason to lose my hard earned money for something that is a rip off.

I can write a review and still fight the charges. its not that once u write a review, you can't pursue other options.
I have been going to that dealer for the last 3 yrs and this time, I got ripped off and I am not happy with it.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Jimmy, it is not a matter of taking sides. It is a matter of etiquette.

You had an unsatisfactory experience with a low level staff member, but instead of contacting their boss first and trying to resolve the issue amicably you went and posted a negative review of the entire organization.

Right or wrong, the staff are people who react as most people do when attacked, they want to fight back. Now you walk in and want their assistance to work for you to get Toyota to approve a repair. (remember, they want to get paid by someone. If it is not an automatic warranty charge against Toyota corporate they need to get authorization before they start work) . All this takes time and effort that the dealer will not get paid for, so in other words a favour to you.

Your best bet now is to take a copy of the TSB to another dealer and ask nicely if they can help you out.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

BOFH,

With much respect, you live in Winnipeg. Chances are the people at your dealership do, in fact, have human feelings. Chances are also good, that you might run into these folks during the course of your day, be it at church or the grocery store. This poor guy said he got his car from a Toyota dealership in Chicago. That's my home town. It a place I ran away from at age 17, with $300 to my name. I didn't stop til I hit the ocean, been here ever since. It's also the town that gave rise to the present thug/occupant of 1600 Penn Av. It's NOT a nice place. I've also traveled all over Canada. With rare exception, you have it pretty good up there. I was stunned to learn that even cops are polite in Canada. They will actually talk to a person before reaching for the night stick or Taser weapon. It's the most amazing thing.

Jimmy..... I had the same problem. I complained to the dealer, while still under warranty. They were quite willing to do the TSB. But once the SM pulled the process and showed it to me, I told him "no thanks". It's a 10 hour+ job where they basically tear the entire dash apart and strategically place little bits of foam and insulating material at every conceivable point of interface.

I know from first hand experience that warranty "squeak/rattle BS jobs" are given to the junior green hand in the shop. The guy who just got his certificate. The guy who was working in the detail shop, just last week.

NO WAY I was letting them do that TSB.

Having said that.... I had my little dinger adventure a couple weeks ago, and in the course killing that thing good, I did notice some sound deadening pads that resembled disposable diapers, stuff up inside the dash. The glue around them had dried and released. I stuffed them back inside the dash as tight as I could before buttoning the dash back up. It could be just a coincidence... but my squeaking stopped. It looked like a half-baked solution to begin with, something they fixed right by '08.

Once I discovered some of the sneaky ways my dealer dodged my "platinum warranty" I just canceled it and received a pro-rated refund. IMHO, it is not worth the paper it's printed on.

If you feel like poking around in your dash, it really does come apart with frightening ease. 2 screwdrivers and a couple of snap-lock fasteners. And it goes back together just as easily. I'll help you if you want to take things in your own hands.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
BOFH,

With much respect, you live in Winnipeg. Chances are the people at your dealership do, in fact, have human feelings. Chances are also good, that you might run into these folks during the course of your day, be it at church or the grocery store. This poor guy said he got his car from a Toyota dealership in Chicago. That's my home town. It a place I ran away from at age 17, with $300 to my name. I didn't stop til I hit the ocean, been here ever since. It's also the town that gave rise to the present thug/occupant of 1600 Penn Av. It's NOT a nice place. I've also traveled all over Canada. With rare exception, you have it pretty good up there. I was stunned to learn that even cops are polite in Canada. They will actually talk to a person before reaching for the night stick or Taser weapon. It's the most amazing thing.

Jimmy..... I had the same problem. I complained to the dealer, while still under warranty. They were quite willing to do the TSB. But once the SM pulled the process and showed it to me, I told him "no thanks". It's a 10 hour+ job where they basically tear the entire dash apart and strategically place little bits of foam and insulating material at every conceivable point of interface.

I know from first hand experience that warranty "squeak/rattle BS jobs" are given to the junior green hand in the shop. The guy who just got his certificate. The guy who was working in the detail shop, just last week.

NO WAY I was letting them do that TSB.

Having said that.... I had my little dinger adventure a couple weeks ago, and in the course killing that thing good, I did notice some sound deadening pads that resembled disposable diapers, stuff up inside the dash. The glue around them had dried and released. I stuffed them back inside the dash as tight as I could before buttoning the dash back up. It could be just a coincidence... but my squeaking stopped. It looked like a half-baked solution to begin with, something they fixed right by '08.

Once I discovered some of the sneaky ways my dealer dodged my "platinum warranty" I just canceled it and received a pro-rated refund. IMHO, it is not worth the paper it's printed on.

If you feel like poking around in your dash, it really does come apart with frightening ease. 2 screwdrivers and a couple of snap-lock fasteners. And it goes back together just as easily. I'll help you if you want to take things in your own hands.
thanks for ur info.

thinking of taking this matter to states attorney general cos i lost over $100 for just nothing . in regards to the noise, i don't know what to do, cant do it myself and not covered by any warranties so.