2008 Hybrid Brakes Failed Several Times

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Administrator
Default Re: 2008 Hybrid Brakes Failed Several Times

actually, the original poster may have point. I was driving my escalade in EV mode because of the low speed and while slowing to a stop sign, tried to push the brake pedal lightly. it seems that the brake was not working but after pressing the brake pedal seriously to a stop it worked brilliantly. servo assist or electronic assist or not, I think the GM brakes are good enough to stop the vehicle. the feeling of braking might be disconcerting if you are used to jap cars with mushy soft brake pedals. the gm brake pedal works higher and works like the 4-pot brembos I have on my evolution 9 mr. you can modulate your brakes by pressing harder. this should not be confused with brake failure.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Doubt if anyone is still around from this original thread but I can tell you that the original poster had a valid concern. I have a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid that has lost it brake boost you have to use both feet hard on the pedal to bring the beast to a stop. The real kicker is that GM has discontinued the Active Brakes J92 ABS module/ABS pump/Modulator/Accumulator so all you can do is try to find a salvage part and then good luck finding a dealership that has a technician that can actually program everything back so that it works. I have replaced the ABS system as a unit from a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid and I am currently at the programming stage (C12FF code) which means the module is not programmed to the vehicle and all the other little modules are not going to play nice with it. Very frustrating process you cannot even bleed the brakes without a special electronic Tool this is ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:22 PM

Yeah mine failed completely in the rear
the rear were not doing anything almost hit someone in a small car after the light changed doing 60mph(street speed limit) ended up stopped in the middle of a street
suddenly one day it locked up(all 4 wheels) while going 55MPH down a off ramp almost lost control of it completely and flipped it and nearly causing others to hit me(also total loss momentary loss of electrical system)..

then the brakes were dragging afterwards. rear pad 99% gone on passenger side...

I suggest if the brakes stop working SHIFT immediately INTO M4 then M3 then( to M1 once you get to about 20mph) this will Decelerate the SUV quickly.
you can also apply an electrical load such as turning on A/C and opening windows and flip the sun roof open this will apply additional dynamic/air drag braking..

you can almost come to a complete stop via Engine braking to like 5-7mph then slowly apply the E-brake in neutral gear
Check and make sure the E brake is working often like once a month...

Old 07-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Great news to report I found a local auto repair shop that was able to program and relearn the system. It is two steps the program and then the sequential relearn process. The ole Tahoe now has the best brakes it has ever since I bought it, will throw you through the windshield if not careful. Awh life is good again.....

$707.00 spent on this problem. Complete Active Brakes J92 ABS assembly with 134k $305.00 delivered to my door. $402.00 to install the new parts and bleed the brakes (put Dot 4 fluid back in) plus program and relearn the system. Thank goodness for good independent auto repair shops. I am sure this would have been over 2k at the dealer service department if they could have even gotten the obsolete parts.

Now I a wondering if that bad ABS assembly was what was causing the occasional and rare thing where at low speed when barely braking it would suddenly surge forward like someone hit you from behind. Will keep an eye out for that, it only happened about once a month but man it would get your attention when it did! These GM Hybrids are quite the quirky little vehicles. If it makes it 16 more months (about 50k more miles) to the time I retire I am putting it on the auction block LOL

Old 07-29-2020, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by dnt1010
Great news to report I found a local auto repair shop that was able to program and relearn the system. It is two steps the program and then the sequential relearn process. The ole Tahoe now has the best brakes it has ever since I bought it, will throw you through the windshield if not careful. Awh life is good again.....

$707.00 spent on this problem. Complete Active Brakes J92 ABS assembly with 134k $305.00 delivered to my door. $402.00 to install the new parts and bleed the brakes (put Dot 4 fluid back in) plus program and relearn the system. Thank goodness for good independent auto repair shops. I am sure this would have been over 2k at the dealer service department if they could have even gotten the obsolete parts.

Now I a wondering if that bad ABS assembly was what was causing the occasional and rare thing where at low speed when barely braking it would suddenly surge forward like someone hit you from behind. Will keep an eye out for that, it only happened about once a month but man it would get your attention when it did! These GM Hybrids are quite the quirky little vehicles. If it makes it 16 more months (about 50k more miles) to the time I retire I am putting it on the auction block LOL
you want to buy my SUV...

Mine Stops so fast i end up going backwards. if I release the brake peddle at the right moment.. i'm not lying

i got scammed at a shop i took mine too they charge $320 for putting the spark plugs and wires in (they did all kinds of extra work (unauthorized work)i did not want done) they did not even put the new TB and tried stealing the old parts spark plugs and wires ...

at first they tried charging $480... the original quote was for 160$

also maybe i can buy the green bean battery from you if the price is right we could agree on a price probably worth about 600$ with 80k miles on it in that point in time

Last edited by Tahoe_08; 07-30-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 AM

I refuse to drive my new Sierra Denali out on the rough and muddy jobiste's that I deal with on a daily basis This TaHOe is the perfect beater ride for work but I only need but one LOL.
Got the power folding mirror plastic gear issue now (drivers side) never seems to end with the ole HO...............