New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: New Tires

Originally Posted by MFLetou
ag--
I was told by my dealer this morning that my OEM Bridgestones have just 2/32's on them and need to be replaced!

I have 24,000 miles on them. NOT happy. They had been rotated once and there has been no sign of an alignment problem.

Get the Michelin. I have 13,000 miles and no measureable wear. I expect to get 60,000 miles on them before replacement.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires

I had the same factory TCH Michelins on Accord, I had to change front at 40k miles and rear at 80k and never rotated the tires, so I would probably get around 60k on all 4 tires with proper tire rotation, therefore 21k miles on Bridgestones seems very low. I drive a little aggressive, taking turns at high speed with a lot of stop and go traffic, so I would imagine somebody driving with better care should get 80k miles from Michelins or more. Either you drive like a maniac or those Bridgestones are made from rather soft rubber and last way too short.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM

By all means go with Michelin's. I would suggest the Energy S8 tires designed just for the Camry hybrid. Evidently the Bridgestones were also designed for the hybrids. Michelin has a reputation for having long lasting, quiet and good riding tire.

I was lucky to get a set of Energy S8 tires on my new THC we picked up Friday. I waited till late at night and checked the tires. Each has 40 psi in them. I remember the test drive we took. The car rode smooth but the steering was nice and crisp. My car was the same way so now I now way. I was amazed how smooth the car is over the railroad tracks near our house. The 2006 Ford had 17" Continentals and they were rough on that track even at 35 psi. Good luck with finding a good set of tires for your hybrid.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 AM

So... what's the verdict on MPG for your new Michelin's? I am in the market for new tires in the next week or so... it's hard to determine what tires have low rolling resistance. Please give us an update.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM

The first day we drove the new car around for a good bit, some was in town. The first night I got the car home the readout was at 44.4 mpg. The next day we drove it more, like to eat in the mountains near Ruidoso, NM. Thats a 45 minute drive from where we live. That night I was up to 47.9 mpg. I'm amazed a car with only 150 miles can do this.

I will admit I have been driving gas powered car for high gas mileage starting back in 1964. There is not much traffic out here in Alamogordo, NM where I live. The highways are rather flat in 3 directions. Go east and your in the mountains. The air out here is very dry at 20% humidity. I coast or glide a lot from habit. I looking forward to seeing what this car will do once it's broke in.

Last edited by rburt07; 07-30-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
The first day we drove the new car around for a good bit, some was in town. The first night I got the car home the readout was at 44.4 mpg. The next day we drove it more, like to eat in the mountains near Ruidoso, NM. Thats a 45 minute drive from where we live. That night I was up to 47.9 mpg. I'm amazed a car with only 300 miles can do this.

I will admit I have been driving gas powered car for high gas mileage starting back in 1964. There is not much traffic out here in Alamogordo, NM where I live. The highways are rather flat in 3 directions. Go east and your in the mountains. The air out here is very dry at 20% humidity. I coast or glide a lot from habit. I looking forward to seeing what this car will do once it's broke in.
Funny, I live in Albuquerque (used to live in Socorro) and my best tank ever was a weekend trip to Ruidoso.

So did the tires end up costing you MPG?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey, some New Mexicans!!!

I'm not a New Mexican, but I've worked for one of your federal representatives for some time now so I have a special affinity for the place. I certainly know all about Alamo and Holloman, and Socorro and Tech!

Old 07-30-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by zimbop
Funny, I live in Albuquerque (used to live in Socorro) and my best tank ever was a weekend trip to Ruidoso.

So did the tires end up costing you MPG?
I don't understand your last statement. The new THC is only 3 days old and up to 48 mpg with it's first 189 miles. I think I mentioned it came with the michelin Energy S8 tires.

I remember back in the late 80's. I had a Cavalier when we lived near Dallas. We were headed to California on a summer vacation. I was determined to drive at 60 for the while trip to save gas. I had the tires up to 38 psi cold. We spent the night at Amarillo where I filled up that next morning. We headed west across New Mexico on I-40. I remember using part of the shoulder to allow the 18 wheelers to pass. I stopped in Phoenix, Arizona to fill up. I got 42 mpg on that run. I got really good gas mileage on that whole trip. Yes, I stayed at 60 the whole trip. The wife enjoyed it as she don't like to drive fast anyway.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Dazed and Confused

I am suprised that the bridgestones needed to be replaced at 21,000.

I am not a "relaxed" driver and take turns a bit fast and I hope to get 40,000 + miles from them.

I guess I will pony up the extra for the french tires.

I do run mine at 45 PSI, not sure if that helped them last a bit longer.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I don't understand your last statement. The new THC is only 3 days old and up to 48 mpg with it's first 189 miles. I think I mentioned it came with the michelin Energy S8 tires.
That question was meant for the original poster who had just switched tires.

Quick Reply: New Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands