Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

I just found this thread because my cloth seat equipped TCH smells like it has lived in a horse barn. You get used to the smell while driving, but when I first open the doors in the morning it smells like horses or as someone said in this thread - 'farm animals'. I've used Frebreeze on the cloth surfaces and carpets, but that does not help. It doesn't smell like glue or adhesives and there is no out-gassing haze on the windows. Airing out the car hasn't helped.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Re: Seat discomfort and smells like farm animals

When I had an 07 Camry LE loaner, I thought the cloth seat was horrid. It was mushy, not well padded, and the front edge of the seat cut into the backs of my legs no matter how I adjusted it.

If the TCH cloth seats are the same, then I pity anyone suffering with them.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had my car since October, and I'm just now starting to notice a smell. For me it smells like someone's stinky socks. Up 'til now I just assumed it was my husband's feet - but I'll have to investigate further. My husband doesn't ride in the car often enough to account for that - and he wears shoes most days.

Hmmm, I wonder if a little Gold-Bond powder wouldn't help?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Or maybe just one of those little "Christmas Tree Thingies" you hang from the rearview mirror?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In another thread (I forget the title) it was reported that the smell in that case was due to mould growing on a wet cabin air filter. Apparently, water can be drawn (or blown) into the filter if the air circulation is set to "outside air" while driving through a carwash. Best to set it to "recirculate" before entering the carwash. It might be worthwhile to check out this possibility.

Stan

Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Stan - that sounds feasible. How often are those cabin air filters supposed to be changed - anyone know offhand?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:28 PM
SPL

elsifer — I don't recall offhand, but I do remember that the change interval for Canada was given as half that for the USA! It's something like once a year.

Stan

Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm 5'10" and 200lb., and find the TCH cloth seats perfectly comfortable and supportive with an interior that smells like a four month old car should smell, which is just fine.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jasper frog
These seats are the cloth type and when I first get in the car it smells like wet wool.

I also have that annoying center console rattle.
I read in the forums that the odor you speak of may come from the air conditioner. Especially if you live in a rainy area or wash your car alot.
It said to put the AC blower on high just before parking the car for the day. This drys out any moisture in the AC.

The test drive car we drove had a odor but it went away after a few minutes. The saleslady had the AC 'on' with high fan speed and outside air when we got in the car. Half way though the drive I put it on recirculate then down to low fan. I wanted to hear how quiet the car was.

I have not had my car long enough to know about the seat comfort. I weigh 300 pounds and moved the lumbar adjustment full forward. I had a '03 Corolla for 3 years and those seats seemed ok.

Yes, there is some complaining of the center console rattle or buzz noise. I thought there was a Toyota TSB fix out for that problem. I think that was in the Japanese models sold before they had the Georgetown, Kentucky plant finished for production.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-11-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM
SPL

elsifer — Here's the page from the New Car Features Guide that gives the change interval for the cabin air filter. See page BE-49.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BE-043to056.pdf (211.8 KB, 46 views)