Would you recommend the Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Would you recommend the Escape?

Originally Posted by wwest
And pardon me, but how does the issue of my not owning an FEH/MMH enter into this discussion? That does not prevent me from reading and COMPREHENDING the myriad of information available on the subject.
Hey pal, yes, the issue of you not owning one is relevent when the thread is titled "Would you recommend the Escape?". This thread is on a Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner forum that is asking FEH owners if they would or would not recommend the vehicle to others. Go thump your chest over on the Prius forum or go hang out at your local Honda dealership waiting on a vehicle that may never be built. If the thread is titled "Would you recommend the Prius?" then by all means your viewpoint is relevent to the question being asked.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This link:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=24259

is from Ford Motor Company in which they state electronic stability control will be standard on all vehicles by the end of 2009. This is part of the message from the link:

feature Ford's industry exclusive, AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control, the world's only system with two gyroscopic sensors to actively measures and help control both yaw and roll movements.

Willard, could you please explain why you stated this: RSC is NOT stability control as compared to Toyota's VSC or Porsche's PSM, nor is it compatible, in compliance, with the government mandated stability control to be implemented not later than 2013.

You need to tell us why Ford's system is not in compliance with the government mandated stability control law. I don't care to hear about any other automobile manufacture in your reply here.

Traction control button is shown below:

Fordtractioncontrolbutton.jpg?t=1215986928

Old 07-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Billyk,

Your post says it all, and very adequately I might add.

Your post states that by the end of 2009, presumably the 2010 FEH/MMH model year, these vehicles will be equipped with "AdvanceTrac" inclusive of "today's" currently available RSC, Roll Stability Control. Based on the wording I assume AdvanceTrac is the term Ford will use to indicate their stability control will then be in compliance, active yaw control, with the government regulations.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Would you recommend the Escape?

"AdvanceTrac" has been used for many model years. I see it on badged on Expeditions and Explorers all the time.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Billyk,

Your post says it all, and very adequately I might add.

Your post states that by the end of 2009, presumably the 2010 FEH/MMH model year, these vehicles will be equipped with "AdvanceTrac" inclusive of "today's" currently available RSC, Roll Stability Control. Based on the wording I assume AdvanceTrac is the term Ford will use to indicate their stability control will then be in compliance, active yaw control, with the government regulations.

The quote, if you want to be accurate, was that "...electronic stability control will be standard on all vehicles by the end of 2009." That does not mean presumably the 2010 FEH/MMH model year. It simply states that ALL vehicles will have this standard by then. Nowhere does it state that it will not be available on select vehicles prior to that. It is on the 2009 models that are in production now and will be hitting the dealerships any day now (if not already). What is your freaking agenda? If you dislike Ford & Mercury so badly why don't you create your own site to preach your views?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
The quote, if you want to be accurate, was that "...electronic stability control will be standard on all vehicles by the end of 2009."

That does not mean presumably the 2010 FEH/MMH model year.

Sorry, but for most of us, I think, " by the end of 2009" would equate, mentally, to meaning "the 2010 models".

It simply states that ALL vehicles will have this standard by then.

Nowhere does it state that it will not be available on select vehicles prior to that.

True,very true, but do you really think, even for a brief moment, that if certain "select" vehicles would be equipped with AdvanceTrac prior to that date Ford's marketing "arm", gurus, wouldn't be shouting same from the rooftops..??

It is on the 2009 models that are in production now and will be hitting the dealerships any day now (if not already).

From where, whom, have you gotten your "inside" information...?

What is your freaking agenda? If you dislike Ford & Mercury so badly why don't you create your own site to preach your views?
Dislikes...

I dislike the RXh, the HH, the GSh and LSh simply because Toyota and Lexus have decided to go after, appeal too, the "boy-racer" market, those immature types that pay more attention to 0-60 times over FE.

I dislike the FEH/MMH because Ford has been so late in embracing, implementing, current technological improvements such as VSC, HID, DFI, LEDs, etc.

But should you be correct and the 2009 MMH does come out with VSC (AdvanceTrac) I will be one of the first in line to trade in my Prius and my '01 AWD RX300 for a new AWD MMH.

Of course the MMH will be immediately converted, for safeties sake, to RWD. And HID if not so equipped.

In the meantime I'm awaiting the 2010 MMH.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:34 PM

The 2009 MMH-in production--has the electronic stability control as does the FEH.

How do you convert the MMH from it's AWD (FWD based) into RWD without voiding the warrranty?

For safety sakes, why haven't you converted your 01 AWD RX300 to RWD?

As for waiting for the 2010 MMH, it is likely there will be little or no change from the 2009 version.

Last edited by Billyk; 07-13-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
The 2009 MMH-in production--has the electronic stability control as does the FEH.

Show me proof of that, link, and I'll be shopping tomorrow.

How do you convert the MMH from it's AWD (FWD based) into RWD without voiding the warrranty?

Personally I think modern day vehicles, even Ford/mercury, are reliable enough that the warranty is not an issue. Plus I am a very good DIY'er.

For safety sakes, why haven't you converted your 01 AWD RX300 to RWD?

In some sense, I have. I have added 1.5" wheel spacers all around so that when adverse conditions arrive I can, and have, used REAR tire chains readily. The use of tire chains only on the rear not only adds traction and stability but the additional rolling circumference of the rear tires w/chains causes the VC to stiffen up for the "duration".

Additionally, according to what I read, my transaxle is not likely to survive more than ~100, 000 miles. When it does go TU I expect to do the overhaul myself and that will be a good opportunity to remove the center diff'l spider gears and weld the rear driveline solidly. HARD drive to the rear and VC to the front.

As for waiting for the 2010 MMH, it is likely there will be little or no change from the 2009 version.

Obviously you are of the belief that the '09 model has "VSC" while I do not. I'll put my faith in Ford's word that the 2010 model will have VSC.
That is unless a hybrid RAV4 or CX-7 should arrive on the scene in the interim.

Last edited by wwest; 07-13-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is information all over the internet from the Autoshows, early reviews and Ford Media releases as well. If you cannot find them or there is some inside voice that is preventing you from believing them then, well that is between you and those voices.

You have your views and I have mine. I simply don't understand why you, or anyone else, would continue to put so much time and energy into trying to discredit something that you don't even own. Go be happy with you prius and enjoy. Get your 2010 MMH and do whatever upgrades you think you want.

In another month I should be driving my '09 FEH and enjoying the things you will waiting another year on.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Would you mind letting me know how that purchase turns out, stability control wise. I have no need to wait another year if it turns out I'm wrong.

I tend to trust the actual Ford media releases moreso than any other source, by a LARGE measure, and since they don't directly address the matter I remain with my doubts.

"you don't even own..."

I wonder if that would remain an issue if I were to express a HYPER level of satisfaction with the product..???!!!

Quick Reply: Would you recommend the Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands